ok to feed tomato hornworms to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by patandchickens, Aug 10, 2007.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Is it ok to feed tomato hornworms - you know, the big bun-length green caterpillars that you get on tomato plants? - to the chickens? I wouldn't think twice about it for most other caterpillars, but since I know tomato foliage is supposed to be at least somewhat poisonous and that's what the hornworms eat...

Anyone know for certain?

Thanks,

Pat and three chickens

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

mine snatch them off the plants.

Between bites of my tomatoes that is!!! :thun

3. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I haven't seen any of those since I was a kid. Boy did I love playing with them.

Kim

4. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    I researched it and it looks cool.My babys love those green mommas![​IMG]

5. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    OMG! I had some this spring that were about an inch long, fed them to the girls, they thought they'd died and went to chicken-heaven. Then it rained for a couple days, I didn't check the plants, went back out and there were hornworms as long as thick as my fingers! Sick!!! The girls at them too, but I was scared to touch 'em, so I just broke the whole leaf off and the girls ate 'em. Took a little longer though!

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

My hens LOVE them.....Kim, if ya want some...LOL...come on over and get em! We seem to have plenty! UGH!

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] I know your pain.

8. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    My hens LOVE them.....Kim, if ya want some...LOL...come on over and get em! We seem to have plenty! UGH!

I dunno about tomato worms. I kinda out grew that ! However, I think you and I should make a trip north together to get some of those guineas !

Kim​

9. glorialuver123

glorialuver123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2007
    Walworth, NY
    ours went for there first time today, they found a pretty bid catapiller in there, they placed soccer with it, sept with there beaks. Ivana (black Australorp), Gloria (BR), and Lacey (Silver Laced) were on one team, and Ming Ming (delaware) and Princess Maudalin (we don't know?) were on a team, and they kept passing the poor catapiller around, until Ivana ate it though, then they were mad at her! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Those horn worms are soo cool! We don't have them here but we got to dissect some in class. It was soo cool to have them crawl around. They felt so funny walking up your fingers too. Some people thought it was disgusting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by