OK to free-range on freshly mowed lawn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Freia, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Freia

Freia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    I'm learning on the fly here...
    Soon we'll be starting to mow our lawn/pasture. Our hens are free-range. Will it be OK for them to roam around on the freshly mowed surface? I've read a few posts about lawn-mower clippings causing impacted crops. I don't want to kill my whole flock, but then, I don't want to have to put up 300 ft of fencing either.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've never had an issue. If chickens were so fragile, that discovering a mowed lawn would cause a flock to be wiped out, the bird would have gone the way of the Dodo centuries ago. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens always eat fresh cut grass from our untreated yard. They love to free range and scratch in it. I don't know about a field though, I guess it would just depend on what was growing in it. My yard has all sorts of weeds, and they are fine. They are actually great!

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Free Ranging hens are fine on a mowed lawn. I used to mow our lawn on 2 inches but i have found that they find more bugs and seeds by cutting it on 3-3.5 inches. They should not have a problem digesting the grass.

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by