OK to get chicks from different stores a day apart?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amama, Mar 12, 2018.

1. amama

amama Chirping

Mar 16, 2016
    Midwest US
    Tractor Supply has one breed I really want, and Orscheln's has the other. Is it okay to mix those chicks? I wouldn't be able to get them at the same time, maybe not even the same day. It would be the following day; would that cause problems with the chicks since they weren't together in the brooder at the store?

Thanks!

2. I dont think so but I would boost them with vitamins, and keep a close eye on them

jeepgrrl likes this.
  3. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    No problem getting on different days.

I have some in brooder now that were 2 week old closeouts. Bought some that had come in that day. Day olds.

Picked up some more this week. So I have 3 week, 2 week, and 5 day olds in the same brooder.

4. CorvusFarm

CorvusFarm Chirping

Nov 26, 2017
    Corralitos, California
    Absolutely fine. I have a mixed group right now that I am brooding. They came from my local hatchery in California, but also from my local feed store down the street that happened to have a handful of leftovers of a breed I was looking for, specifically. They're also a week apart in age, and they all do fine.

jeepgrrl likes this.
  5. amama

amama Chirping

Mar 16, 2016
    Midwest US
    Great, thanks! I know how mean my hens can be, and didn't know if chicks were the same way yet.

jeepgrrl likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: