ok to have just one chicken?

I asked that too but was told quite passionately by chick-friends here that chickens are flock birds and there needs to be more than one.

That said, I know someone who only has one and that one does fine by herself b/c there are kids in the household that play with her often.

THAT said, I went out and bought 2 Brown pullets to keep my Cornish X company.
yippiechickie.gif
They're getting used to each other at the moment in separate housing but it seems they like to be near one another, they stay close even with the separation.

I think chickens need at least one other chicken friend. They're flock animals by nature and prefer friendship of their own kind. I have heard you can keep chickens happy on their own if you spend lots of time with them, but it's nice for them to have a chicken friend to talk to, too
smile.png

I think flock animals need to have a friend. If it was a cat which is an independent animal then no but a chick...yes it needs a buddy.

I know a person who only has one chicken for 6 years!
Her white Leghorn roo lives with his friend (owner??) inside of her house.
She takes him for walks regulary and they sleep together at night. I can say they are almost inseparable.
It seemed very strange to me at first, but they look happy together
smile.png

His life style is far from 'natural' for chickens so I really don't know if there is any serious problems with it or not unless someone has a heart-to-heart talk with him oneday
lol.png

You are asking a bunch of enablers if you should have only one chicken???
lau.gif

What do you think they are going to say on here
gig.gif

GET MORE, GET MORE
yippiechickie.gif

For a chicken to be a chicken, it has to be part of a flock. I think three is a good minimum.

Good luck sticking with just three...

Thank you all for your responses. I only have a very small amount of space ..which is why I was asking about having one. ....but I think it best that I wait til I move and have enough space for 2 or 3 ...we wouldn't want lonely chickens
smile.png

Go ahead and get 3! The stuff you need and the space for 3 isn't really that much more than one. You still have to buy food, water, and accessories for one, so just double the size of the dog house and get three!

Or just get three bantams! They are small!

Back
Top Bottom