Ok to Introduce New Hens to Established Flock with Momma Hen & Two Week Old Chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zephyr66, Jan 17, 2013.

1. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    I have a very small flock - 3 hens and a young rooster who has not yet matured. One of the hens is a mamma and hatched 5 chicks two weeks ago. All is well and harmonious in the hen house and boundaries are set! But, I need/want more eggs. I have the opportunity to get a few more hens at point of lay - Black Star hens. The coop is a good size - 6' wide by 8' long and they have a fence circling around it with about 200 sf of outdoor area. The mamma has a place to go and hide with chicks since she is a banty and I have a "box" with cut outs big enough for her and the chicks to get in and eat the chick starter but the big girls can't get in. The layer feed is on a treadle feeder so chicks can't eat that. So, if the new birds did get a little aggressive, mamma and chicks have a place to go. Do you think it's okay to introduce a few new birds?

Sylvia

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There should be any problems. Ideally though you should quarantine the newcomers for awhile to make sure they don't carry any disease or pest that they can introduce to your flock. Deworm them and dust them for mites at the very least and check for any signs of disease (runny nose, abnormal poop) before letting them loose amongst your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by