Ok to kill Bald Eagles

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickened, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
  2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Says right in the article...not that it is terribly well written or thorough.

3. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I don't know, it reminds me of when they killed the whales in Neah Bay they said it was for ceremonial purposes but yet they used motor boats and high powered rifles an all the while claimed it was a ritual... not very ritualistic. IMO Will they use traditional methods to harvest the bird or blast it out of the sky/nest with a 12 guage?

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    You should ask them. :) Plenty of contacts available for various tribes.

As I recall, that particular whale kill was unsanctioned, and was treated as such...

5. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I did ask the Indians I know at Warm Springs and they said it was done by the old timers to show the kids their old ways and all. Of course they also said many young people were not interested in the subject. On the whale my freind in Sequim said most of the whale meat ended up in the tribal dump. Apparently there is a great division in certain tribes as to the spending of money on these things.

My ancestors killed animals for skins among other things and I feel it would be pointless for me to do it. What I really think is the reason is they do it is because they want to show the Federal Government they can. One guy in the article said so. I wonder what they do with the carcass.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    because it's part of their heritage... those eagles will die with more honor and reverence then most of us hold for our chicken when we haul them to the processors. And certainly more so than the eagles killed any given day by the giant wind turbines that are also going to be installed.

I think we sometimes forget WE invaded THEIR country. Besides, do we not sacrifice animals to celebrate our holidays? Why is it any different for them to use an animal in theirs?

At some point, if the younger kids aren't interested, and the old timers die out, it will stop like a passing phase... which I think is very unfortunate.

7. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I was referring to the 1999 hunt which was sanctioned.

8. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    You are probably right, heritage and traditions have a shelf life and will eventually die out. Like I said I understand why they do it and to do it in a traditional way is even acceptable to me but using modern weapons seems to me to be dishonoring the tradition. That is where I take issue.

This is just a guess but I bet traditionally they retrieved them from the nest at night with clubs or they used snares.

9. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    It is more then their heritage and traditions. The feathers are used (and have been for over 200 years) in a sacred religious ceremony that I am sure will die out right after all the Judeo-Christian stuff is just a foggy memory.

10. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    How 'bout we take all the different ethnic and religious people, find a law that interferes with what we want and seek a permit to flip it. We are all Americans and the law governs all, no matter who was here first. Once again a case of not equal rights but special rights. This is what causes divisions among a nation of people. MY RIGHTS AND HERITAGE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUS. Gimme a break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by