OK to leave 5-week olds in the coop?

DerbyChook

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I put them out full time 2 days ago. We are in the south, and it has been pretty warm. Today we have been having torrential rain storms. I went out to check on them, and found out that one for the vents is leaking slightly. The dog tore the rain protection off of it yesterday. I covered it with a piece of scrap lumber, but it is pretty damp in that spot. The chickens were over on the other side of the coop, away form the damp. Is it ok to leave them out, or should I grab them and put them back in the brooder in the garage until I can get the bedding dried out? It is about 70 degrees right now.

I would take them out and change the bedding. It can start to mold very easily being wet and that could harm your birds.

I cleaned out the damp bedding and fixed the leak. The coop seems to be dry now. It will be raining steadily through the night, but the temps should stay up. The chickens seem happy enough. If the coop stays dry, is it ok to leave them out? I know I am being a worrywart. It is just because I am a newbie.

Back
Top Bottom