Ok to mix Bantam & Light Weight Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by donnavee, Dec 17, 2010.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I currently have 2 BEI female bantams and am thinking of ordering some more bantam breeds from Holderreads. I would also like to get a few Welsh Harlequin's, which I believe are considered in the light weight class, for eggs. Since they don't sex their ducks, if I get a Harlequin drake, would it try to mate with the bantams and possibly harm them? Would a bantam drake try to mate with the larger duck?

Ducks are pretty new for me and so far, these 2 little females are my only experience - I haven't had to deal with a drake or mating yet. Thx for any advice.

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Yes, they would try to mate. If you have enough space and plenty of separate sheltered areas and feeding and watering areas, you might be okay. The WH though are not a lightweight breed. In fact, a lot of birds from the Holderread strain are quite large, to the point they could be in the heavyweight class. Some of my WH drakes from them were in the 7-8 pound range. That could be a problem if you keep them with bantams, especially if you don't have a lot of room.

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    OK, I was going by the chart in The Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. Thanks - we have plenty of "outside" room, but only one "lock down" pen. Doubt DH wants to build another run next year so guess I'll either stick with the Bantams for now or rehome any WH drakes. I'm guessing a bantam drake probably couldn't successfully mate a larger duck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by