Ok to move chicks from a forced air to still air (LG) for lockdown?

DFCottage

Songster
11 Years
Feb 17, 2008
Montpelier, Virginia
I have a 2362n Hovabator with a fan that I've got 23 eggs in, currently at day 11. I'd like to pick up a second bator and use that for hatching only. Is there any danger in me moving the eggs to a still air LG? I know the temp needs to be higher for the still air bators, but does moving from forced air to still air pose any danger for the chicks?

I am really curious to see the answer for this since I will be doing the same exact thing... I just got a used LG from a friend of mine that I am going to use a hatcher and hadn't even thought about it until i saw your post.. I looked and sure enough, there is no fan...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I got a reply on another forum that said that it would be better to do the fan option... however, I don't know if that's because a fan is just BETTER, or if its because I shouldn't switch from a fan to no fan.... honestly, I've got to believe it wouldn't be incredibly detrimental to the chicks.. But I might not have a choice.. the breeder I ordered eggs from (who said they'd ship the week of March 8th) just informed me she put my eggs in the mail yesterday, and my current bator chicks don't hatch until the 11th! GRR so I might be at the mercy of the LG still air if I can't find anyone local to me to incubate them.

they do not need the fan.. just make sure your heat is stable at 99.5 F well in advance of moving the eggs and your humidity should be about 60%

I'm glad you asked this question as I would like to move my EE eggs to my LG still air for lockdown and keep my Ameraucanas and Bantam Cochin frizzles in the Genesis 1588 so I don't get the Ameraucanas & EE's mixed up.

Quote:
Umm still air needs to be higher than 99.5 (that is the temp for forced air bators)

Quote:
Umm still air needs to be higher than 99.5 (that is the temp for forced air bators)

Hmmm, not true..
99.5F will hatch any egg with or without a fan..

Back
Top Bottom