Ok to move them out? help, pics their big!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secuono, Apr 4, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    6 ducklings, 3 Khaki nearly all feathers, 3 Pekin have feathers catching up but larger than their buddies. They are 5 weeks and 5.5 weeks old.
    I have a 5ft by 10-13ft pen on grass, part of it is covered with a tarp.
    They live in the garage for awhile now, on concrete with a pond, no heat lamp.
    They are very dirty and I can't keep up with the mess any longer.
    Can I move them to the pen now?
    Today is 79-80F.

Below is the weather report until Monday.

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 2am. Low around 50. Breezy, with a south wind between 17 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tuesday: Showers before 9am. High near 51. Breezy 16 and 21 mph, gusts 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts half of an inch possible.
    Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 31. West wind between 5 and 13 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. West wind between 5 and 15 mph.
    Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. West wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm.

Thursday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69.
    Thursday Night: Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 66. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
    Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51.

Saturday: A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 72. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
    Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 70.
    Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 61.

Monday: A chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 80. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, it's dark now, still very warm and no rain yet.
    Ideas on if/when I can leave them outside??I don't want them to freeze, only difference outside will be wind and sunshine!

Oh, ps, these giant ducks are TERRIFIED of tiny 3in tall chicks!!!

3. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I kind of have the same question for mine.. the only difference is I am in Florida with warmer temps. Are you able to put a heat lamp on them so if they get cold they can get warm?

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I could, but with all the wind, it might end up being knocked out and bust the bulb or fall.
    Top and back side of one end is covered, nearly the whole short side is covered except a few inches from the bottom, other side is covered down from the top about 1/5ft. Wind still can be bad.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    secuono,

I don't know how your setup is, but just from a duckling health point of view, I would not be real comfortable leaving them out in wind and rain at this age.

I think you have them in a kiddie pool on concrete in the garage. Do I have that right? What are you using for bedding? Is the mess from them splashing water? If you have described the setup on another topic, could you tell me where that is so I can picture it? There may be some ways to cut down the mess.

Is the tarp the only cover they will have in the pen? For the first ten weeks or so, I would recommend keeping them out of drafts. They need to be able to be warm and dry, most of the time, even if they have brief adventures in cooler temperatures or out in the rain. If it's too windy for a heat lamp, I'm guessing it's too windy to have the babies out.

Maybe we can come up with a way to reduce the mess for a few weeks.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    It's now 3ft longer than the picture. The towels are out, added shavings today.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    1st pic is from today of the ducks and the other two are from a few days ago. You can see tons of feathers and some have a bit of fluff here and there. They are HUGE ducks...

Bottom is a pic from today with the 3 pens.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks for the pics! They are cuties!

Just to consider:

could you get a three inch tall "pan" a few inches wider than your waterer (cool waterer!) that you could put some sawdust pellets in? That would soak up so much water! You could then scoop out wet sawdust every few days and replace it - that might get the wetness under control.

I like shavings and sawdust and straw because I can easily fork or shovel it out, in just a few steps, and sprinkle clean, fresh dry material and be done. I use a layer of sawdust under straw for my ten runners' basement pen (they are adults).

9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Don't have anything large enough to fit the bin. Plus they make most of the mess when drinking, shaking it out of their beaks and jumping in and out of the water...At this size, there is no way to contain it, really...lol

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It can be a challenge!
    [​IMG]
    This works for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by