OK to process birds that are on medicated feed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ladyfarmer10, Jul 17, 2010.

1. ladyfarmer10

ladyfarmer10 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    alabama
    Thats the only feed I can find locally here,its medicated with Bacitracine Methylene Dicalicylate 200 Grams/ton

2. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    We wanted 30 days free of medicated feed and I couldn't get it at my coop either. So I bought layer feed and mixed about 14-16 pounds of soybean meal to each 50 pounds of layer feed to bring up the protein.

3. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    ladyfarmer10 where are you? Here in Nevada they only sell medicated feed for chickens, but I didn't want to feed my birds that so I've been buying the Purina Flock Raiser, which is for different kinds of poultry (turkeys, ducks, etc.) and so isn't medicated. I've compared the ingredients and the only difference I can see (other than the lack of medication) is that it is higher in protein (20%).

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    So places will order the non med. if you ask. Our Equity does that for me. Its worth a shot.

5. ladyfarmer10

ladyfarmer10 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    alabama
    OK, I found a man local that mixes his own feed and he will sell me some.So, how long do I wait to process these birds.

the birgs are 10 weeks and are ready to be processed I dont want them to get much bigger if I can help it

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:How old are your birds?? and what type? Personally nothing eats maedicated feed at my house escpecially my meat birds... I would say a minimum of two weeks but if its early enough go a whole month ... Also ask your feedstore to order you non medicated feed , or start reading the bags at the feed store , somtimes their is barely a difference form feed to feed and you can find somthing that would work better....

7. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    A month is a minimum at our house. It's all of our responsibilities to ensure that the medication in the meat birds is out of their system completely before consumption, even by other animals. The risk is that you'll help to create resistant strains of illnesses/bacteria that are hard to treat with the "normal" medicines. AFAIK, the medicated feed is used primarily by larger operations because it's the "easiest" way to cram a lot of animals in a small, confined space and not suffer losses in the short run. If you are just a backyard raiser of birds and don't force large numbers into small spaces, then you shouldn't have any need of medicated feeds or medicated water UNLESS you SEE actual symptoms of illness that must be treated.

Dan

8. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Quote:In California, producers are required by law to use medicated feed. Which is why that is mostly all that is available here in Nevada - because virtually all of our feed comes from CA.

9. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    Why give a bird medicated feed if it isn't sick? Don't we have enough antibiotic-resistant diseases yet? [​IMG]

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You could finish out with whole grains like cracked corn and oats if you don't want to feed medicated feeds. I would wait for at least two weeks, if not four.

You really don't have to raise these birds on broiler ration if you don't want to, you all. They get the same size in the same amount of time, no matter how you feed them, IME.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by