1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Ok to sell birds with Dq's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Oct 4, 2011.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    So i had a quad of Heritage Rhode Island reds for sale. And a judge emails me asking what a heritage rhode island red is this is what i emailed back

Heritage is a term i use to distinguish between production reds (what hatcherys sell as Rhode Island Reds) and the Very Dark Rhode island reds

he in his last reply sent this

There is only one type of RIR.That is standard bred RI Red.Bred following the guide lines of the standard of perfection

While i know that is technicaly true, i guess he does not deal with the fact that sex links, or other red chickens, are called RIR by some people that do not know the difference.

In that same email he also said

Do you breed Reds for show or to sell.I just want you to know that a couple of pictures I saw there the birds In them would be dq in a show.But also It would not be right to sell Birds with a dq

this is what i emailed back

I Think it is Ok to sell birds with a Dq. i never did state they were show quailty nor did i even state they were breeder qauilty. I knew that they had imperfections....

I have other projects that i need can use the room for.

So is it ok to sell birds with DQ's? Or is it a thing i should never due.

Personaly i think most APA judges around this area have there nose stuck on a bit backwords. There is one judge that i get along with well from the island.

i well go hide now [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Since most Rhode Island Reds out there have DQ's or are far from show winners, it is perfectly fine [​IMG] However it is best to clearly state they are DQ or not quality birds when selling them.

Sell 'em cheap and offer them to people who don't know the difference between a good RIR and a red laying hen.

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    So long as you're up front about their quality, go ahead and sell them to people who don't want or need show quality, and price accordingly.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  4. coz74

coz74 Underground chicken enabler

Aug 22, 2011
    S.E. Wisconsin
    As long as you aren't selling them as show birds there is no problem. If it wasn't ok to sell non show quality birds, hatcheries would be out of business. I would just let any buyers know about any faults you are aware of.

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    most people looking for rir are looking for egg layer so sell away it not like ur out there say there show bird

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Thanks Guys and Gals [​IMG]

I figure i am selling them Cheap ennough 60.00 for the quad? 15. per peace, i have had them from when they are two months old.

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    $60 is comletely reasonable for a decent backyard quad of great layers like RIR. I wouldn't be able to get that here, but I could see paying that much,

But-
    There is only one type of RIR.That is standard bred RI Red.Bred following the guide lines of the standard of perfection

There are also Rosecomb RIR, and probably something else I am forgetting. [​IMG]

8. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:There are also Rosecomb RIR, and probably something else I am forgetting. [​IMG]

ri whites

9. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    I'd just represent these birds as home raised RIR's and leave it at that.
    As long as you do not represent them as show birds, you should be fine. Most people just want good, reliable egg layers. If they lay well, that's what you should advertise. They do lay well, don't they?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  10. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I am wondering where you posted your ad that a judge would even bother to email you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by