ok to separate a chicken for a week?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by karen+3chickens, Jul 1, 2008.

1. karen+3chickens

karen+3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    I have a chicken who is separated from the other two right now. Hubby built her a small coop in the run so they can all see each other. I'm going on vacation for a week and am having a friend watch the separated chicken at her house. Will they all integrate well after a week? I have heard that chickens can be quite rude to others who have not been with them for a while. Getting really nervous about this.[​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They will re-establish pecking order when you reintroduce her to the others. Its ok they may fight for a while but they will move past it.

Why is she seperate?

3. karen+3chickens

karen+3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    She has a distended crop and we are feeding her mash 4-5 times a day to try to get it to go back down. And she also has a "mass" in her crop - so she has been getting apple cider vinegar to try to break it down. Bringing her to the vet again tomorrow:(. That is why my friend offered to care for her. Thanks for your help!

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Good luck with her. She should be fine when you re-introduce her just watch for injury and blood and if you see it remove her again. They will quickly turn into cannibals and really go at her.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by