OK to switch feed to layer feed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by garye5007, Aug 8, 2010.

1. garye5007

garye5007 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Hi,
    My 2 BRs and 3 RIRs are 18 weeks old and i have to buy feed soon and i would like to know if i can switch to layer feed when i run out?
    i hate to buy another bag of grower when they are, hopefully, going to lay soon!
    Thanks, Gary

2. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Yes Gary it is OK to switch, just make sure they have grit available either from the ground they scratch or a bowl that you provide. If they are outside on the ground and there are small pebbles and dirt then they don't need any additional. Good Luck [​IMG]

3. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    NEVER give pullets straight layer feed until they start to lay eggs, chick starter/grower has the nutrients they need till they do start 2 lay, you may be able to mix the 2 up together??? you need to ask your feed store what they reccomend they should know.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    At 18 weeks it's safe to start giving them layer feed!!

Missi

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I switch mine about a month before they start laying. About 16 weeks. Mine are at 10 weeks so I will change them over the first of September. This way it gives them the added protien needed to produce eggs. It will not hurt them at all. Change feed any time.

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:The feed store told me that you want at least a month of them eating the laying feed before they start laying because it gives them time to get the medication from the chick feed out of their system before they lay eggs that you will eat. I thought it sounded like good advice since I don't want that medication in me.

7. garye5007

garye5007 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    thanks for the replies!
    they are on un-medicated growth feed and i plan to buy layer feed and start them on that.
    Thanks again!
    Gary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by