Ok to take away feed at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessicaroo, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jessicaroo

jessicaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    I live on a small island that has run out of feed and I am awaiting a shipment of chick feed into town, I might run short of my feed by a few days. Could anyone please advise if it would be ok for me to supplement my 3 week old chicks with something else? Or maybe take their food dishes away at night to cut back? I've heard dry oatmeal is ok to mix with their food? Or maybe a bowl of cooked oatmeal a couple times a day?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I'd say that anything safe for chickens to eat, and that is mild would be better to supplement them with as opposed to them going hungry, As far as removing feed at night, I would do that only if they are sleeping all night. If they are up and active, they will get very hungry.

Boiled egg may be a good supplement to give with the food to make it last longer.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Ok, I'm not too sure that they sleep all night. I have given them hard boiled egg yolks, they love them. I will try to give them extra feedings of that to help make the feed last longer. Thank you

4. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Do they have any corn, oats, wheat, milo or mixed grain feed at the feed store? If so that will work. Also they will eat cat food. I have found mine will eat just about anything you put in the cage. A good time to clean out the freezer old produce, veggies or meats.

Add you will have to chop some of the items up for the little ones.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    I would never leave chicks without food overnight. Dry oatmeal is fine for them to eat (so is cooked, but it isn't necessary). You might also try giving them some cooked eggs, fruit slices, or bread to peck at. I know someone who ran out of feed for 1 day and made a big batch of cornbread (without sugar) for her chicks. They loved it. Good luck!

6. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    We don't really have a "feed store" just a small hardware store that has decided to carry chickens and supplies (limited) this year for the first time ever. My feed order was delayed from Seattle and thus the wait.... our store downtown did not prepare their stock very well. They ordered a hundred chicks to sell, but only 20 bags of chick feed, so they ran out quick. One of the perks of island living ;) thanks for the tips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by