Ok to try to use a broody silkie AND a heat plate next to her for day-old chicks?

cocoplum

Hatching
Aug 29, 2020
Hello,
We have day-old chicks coming this upcoming week. We have several scenarios prepared for them. I've never introduced chicks to a broody hen before, but I've watched videos and read about it. We have a very chill, happy mixed breed flock of 11 hens who free range daily and have a coop that it way too big for them. We use sweeter heaters in the winter for them to choose to use when roosting. Our silkie hen is often broody, and she is right now. I fenced off a portion of the coop for her with an entrance that I can close once chicks arrive. We have about 15 chicks coming, but I know that is too many for one silkie to brood, especially as a first time mom. However, I"d love for her to have the chance to do this (if she accepts the chicks, of course). Could I put a heat plate with legs next to her,
like this:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...ting-Plate-16x24-Height-Adjustable-p2649.aspx.

or use the sweeter heater next to her? I would envision chicks going in and out from under her or under the plate.

If silkie doesn't want the chicks, we could either raise the chicks in their own spot of the coop fenced off, or we could raise them in a separate heated/insulated room in our barn.

Has anyone ever tried doing this? Thanks so much in advance for your replies.

Our tiny Old English bantam raised 9 large fowl Orpington chicks but we did give her a heat lamp to help out because those babies got big fast. The chicks were happy to use both the heat lamp and the hen. I'm sure your Silkie will be very happy with babies to cluck over. :fl

Our tiny Old English bantam raised 9 large fowl Orpington chicks but we did give her a heat lamp to help out because those babies got big fast. The chicks were happy to use both the heat lamp and the hen. I'm sure your Silkie will be very happy with babies to cluck over. :fl
Thank you all so much! This makes me very hopeful. I'll keep you posted on how it goes this week. We are very excited!!!

Back
Top Bottom