Ok- toys are cheap, but...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Goose and Fig, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    $3.48 a lb for green grapes that were $1.50 last week? And this is at wal-mart!
    The paper towels I have been buying (we have puppies) were "Rolledback" from $7 to $10! WTH!?!
    The milk I buy went from $3.50 a 1/2 gallon to $4.67! For 1/2 gallon!!!!

I could give dozens more examples- but that's pointless. Like most people- we have staples that I buy on a regular basis. I've always had a kind of photographic memory for numbers- especially prices. Do they think nobody will notice?

[​IMG]

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    the great price gouging has begun [​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I could have been Lewis Black at the store yesterday. I don't care about the long lines and holiday shoppers- it's a given. But come on- this is food we're talking about! [​IMG]

edited for angry typing errors

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

price gouging?

Its supply an demand... If demand goes up so does price. If supply goes down price goes up.

But if you add in a holiday or even worse a disaster supply can bottom out an demand can skyrocket but people call it price gouging if price moves at all.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:If that's what you want to believe more power to you [​IMG]

Just like how the price of gas goes up right before memorial weekend. Sure, many folks have a 4-5 day weekend... and many of us in Michigan go up north so.... and the day after the prices drop to normal levels. Now raising the price up before the demand is needed... that's price gouging, because there was no big demand for the prices to go up BEFORE it was needed.

Now unless I am mistaken, you think there may be a shortage of dairy products causing the prices to double? Oh my gosh, if they did that with gasoline there would be a new war being fought in some desert country somewhere.

[​IMG] Sorry bro couldn't help it, because that sort of logic escapes me [​IMG]

6. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    No, it isn't supply and demand all the time. It's flippin greed. Greed greed greed. They think we don't notice when they keep the same size box of cereal and put less in it also. I wasn't born yesterday. [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    greed..greeed..greed... i agree.

8. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    you got that straight!! I noticed at the store yesterday cream cheese was .79 a pack now it is up to 1.09. Milk went from 2.99 a gallon to 3.69. hamburger went from 1.79 a pound up to 2.50 everything has went up here turkeys were .69 a pound now are .99 they did this back at thanksgiving also. Im glad dh got one from work this year. everything has gone up grham cracker crust from 1.00 to 1.50 pudding from .33 a pack to .75 it is rediculas!!

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Yep- anyone bought diapers or wipes lately? I get the refill packs for the wipes- and they take up 2/3 of the box now. [​IMG]

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

There is no shortage of milk but demand is about triple the week of Christmas as apposed to most other weeks. Price is set at the highest price people are willing to pay an the store still be able to sell the inventory they have. Christmas week the price goes up because demand goes up an because demand goes up people are willing to pay more. Store anticipate that an raise the price to what they believe people will pay that week but not above what what people refuse to pay so they still sell there inventory. Its not price gouging its basic economics in a free market system.

Same with gas on holidays. If everyone stopped driving everywhere demand would go down an so would price. You vote for the current gas prices every time you get in your car. You tell the owner of the gas station that he set his price right or maybe even to low when you pull in an fill up. If everyone is driving by then he will lower his price.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by