ok we got 7 chickens yest what should i not feed them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by krystal1980, Jun 26, 2010.

1. krystal1980

krystal1980 New Egg

Jun 26, 2010
    also 2 have crusty scabby feet?

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm new but I do know you should not feed them potato peelings as they can't digest them. I was told not to feed egg shells either so as to not encourage them to peck at the eggs. Can't help on the feet question, sorry. Have fun with your chickies![​IMG]

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    There is a wealth of info on this site about what to feed and not feed as well as info about everything else under the sun related to chickens. Click on 'Learning Center' when you're on the home page and go from there.
    Do feed a good quality layer feed (if they are of laying age) and do provide fresh water daily. Oyster shell available at all times. Grit for digestion. Access to the outdoors (that could take care of the grit part). Great additions to the main food are sunflower seeds and a variety of fruits and veggies (there's a treat list you can access via the 'Learning Center').
    Do not feed anything that has gone bad (feed only that which you would be comfortable eating yourself). Don't feed chocolate, anything with much salt, anything really sugary... there's more but it's easier to go by the "good' list than to try to list everything bad.
    As for the tootsies, if you can post a photo this would help immensely (instructions can be found under "Frequently Asked Questions". It's possible they have leg mites in which case applying Bagbalm does a beautiful job of regenerating. But do try to post photos so the responses can be as on target as possible.
    Glad you are asking these questions [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by