Ok, weird...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelyn, Nov 13, 2010.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    23 days ago I received shipped eggs. Let them settle, set them all even though some appeared to have bad air cells and what not from shipping. Tossed half at day 7 being clear.

Day 14, kept the remaining possibilities. Day of lock down starts... I candle again... toss 4 more.

The remaining 7 of 24 are STILL developing... on day 21. I see growth happening, so they're not dead. But really? Can they really slow down for some reason and take longer?

I thought all was lost... but candling shows they're still kicking... movement when I hold the egg still, like normal. But normal as in day.... 15-ish... not day 21.

I'm going to let them keep going and see what happens... but this is so weird! Will update in another 4 days. By then I should know more... either they will stop, or something will come out. Or not. At this point, no hopes are up.

2. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Is your thermometer accurate? Late hatches can result from cooler temps.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yeah, it was doing good at 99.5 below the turner and 101 on top of the eggs near the element. Still air. There was one spike when we kicked the heat on in the house, but no low periods. That's why I'm confused!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by