Ok went shopping for the coming ducklings today...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cetawin, May 6, 2009.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    they will spend the first week or so in my garden bathtub then to bigger digs so I purchased:

2- 10 lbs of (unmedicated) organic chick starter and 2- 10 lbs of trukey wild game ration crumbles to mix equally.

2 new ceramic rabbit style deep dishes for them.

1 pine shavings

I have a heat lamp and bulb already

I have vitamins/electrolytes already

I have fresh veggies

Tomorrow I am going pool shopping because I could not find one single kiddie pool today that was not a inflatable or soft bottom type.

Am I missing anything? I have 5 ancona and 5 golden welsh harlequins coming from Holderread...this week or next...have not gotten the shipping email yet.

2. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    Our Walmart had the kiddie pools in 3 different sizes. You might want to try them or maybe someplace like Lowe's or Menards if you have these places in your area.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yes I just knew Walmart would have them...so I drove 30 miles there and notta. All inflatable or soft bottom. I checked big lots, several dollar stores, 2 building supply (lowe type) stores. I was very frustrated. I am going to call around in the morning and see where I can find them.

4. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I think it is a good idea to call around and see if they have the pool first, save you some time. You might want to check local yard sales that have kids, you may even come across one of those green turtle sandboxes, that are relatively common.

5. 2Gr8Pyrs

2Gr8Pyrs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Warren County, NJ
    Our Walmarts keep the hard plastic kiddie pools outside in the garden center. I found two sizes and a cute turtle sandbox.

I did have to look hard to find them, since the the "swimming" aisle inside the store had only the inflatable stuff!

I've also seen kiddie pools at PetSmart --clearly marketed for dogs, but exactly the same as a "kid" one. No telling how much they charge for a specialized puppy pool, though! [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Okay I admit it...I did not search their garden department that thoroughly. Dang it.

The calls will be made this morning for sure.

2Gr8Pyrs that is a beautiful GP in your avatar.

7. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:yep, I work at walmart and thats where we keep them.

8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I almost bought a nice thick pond at walmart. I beleive its in the garden area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by