Ok what do I do? I'm afraid of what I might find.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TexasChickenLady, Nov 7, 2008.

1. TexasChickenLady

TexasChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Pampa, Texas
    Ok Inside my homemade incubator is an egg (20 days now) I thought for sure was a bum egg. Last night before bed I went to it to check the levels agian and it was at 107. I was for sure, it was a gonner! I turned one of the bulbs off and picked up the egg to go and candle it, I held the egg up to my ear and heard like a beating sound like little bubbles. I put the egg back in the bator and turned the bulb back on. This morning I had to raise the humidity by alot! I went to the store and came back to a tiny tiny hole in the egg but not all the way through the membrane is still there I held the egg up to my ear and I can still hear it. I dont know how long it was like that and I dont know what to do. Im afraid of this chick not being healthly because of my sorry excuse of a bator.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My thoughts, I'd say he is healthy if he made it this far. I'd leave him alone to his pip and get out on his own. Patience. It's only day 20, they usually pip on day 20 and 24 hours later will zip out if not before.

3. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Definitely leave him be! If he's pipped and moving then he's doing okay. I just had one pip with a tiny hole the the membrane and then sit like that for over 12 hours. When it finally decided to get out it did it in about an hour!

4. TexasChickenLady

Jul 24, 2008
    Pampa, Texas
    Ok went to pick dh from school and came back to end of shell off but chick still in sack, beak poking out, breathing peep peeping. Will it come out of the sack or is it stuck?

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    He's probably resting and absorbing the yolk sac. Let him be, sit on your hands, and don't open the 'bator!

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:That's exactly what he is suppose to be doing. Patience..It can take 24 hours....

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Good luck little chickie !!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Good luck. Come on little chickie [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. TexasChickenLady

Jul 24, 2008
    Pampa, Texas
    Ok when my daughter is grown and i'm about to be a grandparent I will definatly need some PROZAC! I'm a nervous wreck! What is a safe humidity level? I'm scared of it being to dry and getting stuck, can it drown even if his beak is out, I mean through the umbilicle cord. Hehehehehooohooo We'er in labor!

10. TexasChickenLady

Jul 24, 2008
    Pampa, Texas
    oh and I'm worried it'll decide to to break free while i'm in bed. How long will this take?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by