Ok what do I do with all these dang eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherLynn, Jun 7, 2011.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I am being over run with duck eggs. I only have 2 laying ducks. Its still too many. I don't bake a ton and my baking does not use nearly enough eggs. I cannot handle the difference in taste and texture to just eat them and I already have a TON of chicken eggs to eat anyway. I hatched and now I have ducklings but I can't keep all of them. I have a 100% hatch rate and my second batch is looking like it will be about the same so.....what do you guys do with all these eggs? I have cooked up some for the chickens and ducks to eat but in this heat I can't do that often.

Is there some secret to selling ducks? I have some who are a month old and I simply cannot find buyers. Even selling cheap. I am about to make a call to get information on setting up for a swap meet so I can hopefully sell my extras. Any hints on this? It would have been nice to sell these and make enough to be about even. If it just buys a bit of duck feed I would be thrilled at this point.

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    What kind of ducks are they. If pure or not you could try and sell them. Also you can boil them and feed back to your ducks and chickens.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Are you in a position where you could put out a sign -- "Eggs for Sale, Duck or Chicken" or whatever? Even if you only got a small price for them, I bet someone might like them. Or perhaps post on Craigslist?

I found that word spread. At first, I had too many, but now my extended family will take all I can provide, duck, chicken, turkey, quail, whatever, they don't care.

4. HamandLily

HamandLily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    England, UK
    A chopped, hard boiled egg is a great treat for ducks!

You can also get rid of the contents, wash the shell, crush it up and use it as grit and a vital calcium suppliment for your ducks!

5. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    share with neighbors? scramble them up and feed them back to your ducks/chickens/dogs?

6. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I don't even wash the shells. I just put them on a microwave safe plate or dish, and nuke them on high for about 3 to 4 minutes. All of the egg debris burns up to brown, and the shells get super crisp. When cool (they get really hot!), I put them in the food processor, and they turn to a soft sandy texture, works great in feed. Only down side, burning egg smell is a bit funky.

7. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a sign in our yard, put ads in craigslist, posts on local grocery store and feed store bulletin boards and give some to neighbors because they put up with all our animal noises lol.

If you put an ad in CL, do like I do and mention the health benefits (I copy from a website) and mention they are great for breads, cakes, homemade noodles and perfect for people with dairy allergies. I give away the first dozen to those that have never tried duck eggs.

I scramble eggs and feed it to my ducks, chickens and pig.

I also crush up the eggs and mix it up with some cooked rice and cooked frozen peas. That's one of their favorite things. I even throw some in large ice cube trays with some water and make what we call frozen bobbers. I put them in the pond and the duck run and it's something to cool them off, plus they love to catch them in the pond! [​IMG]

8. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Oh, this use is a little "far out" there. I have a lot of deer issues in my garden. I took a mesh bag and hung unused older quail eggs and the rotten ones my turkey hen tried to incubate in it, and put it on one of my small apple trees as a test. The deer have not bothered that one, and are eating the leaves of the others. Of course, it smells nasty to be around the area, but it seems to work. I'm going to make up some more of these, I've got almost 2 dozen small apples from 1 to 3 years old, and the deer are grazing on them.

Most of the commercial animal repellents are based on rotten eggs = they call it "putresecent egg solids" on the labels.

9. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    I know how you feel - we currently have 49 in the fridge! My dad has been good at advertising them at work and getting his collegues to buy some. We're also thinking of having a little stand outside our house to sell the eggs. We're opposite a school so hopefully we can tempt some of the mums and dads who have come to pick up their children to buy some [​IMG] Just have to wait for some nice weather first! [​IMG]

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I was going to suggest a poultry auction. Plus there is a new thing gaining popularity...food swaps. Everything must be home made or home grown. Duck eggs would go over very well with bakers. Do a google search with your town's name and the words FOOD SWAP and see if there is one near you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by