Ok What Do you Think? Cross Between?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fandodge, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Fandodge

Fandodge New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Blue laced red Wyandotte in the mix, but with what? He's a beauty.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He looks like he may be a purebred hatchery-quality Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Hatchery birds often lack some of the breed characteristics. This might explain the unusual rose comb, which looks like it is missing a spike/leader at the end.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I agree with this. He has very reasonable lacing. Lacing is due to being pure for several different genes, a cross would 'mess that up' pretty well.

I also agree that is probably a funky rose comb- as in it's not a walnut. Walnut includes pea in the genetic makeup.. pea normally greatly reduces the wattle size.

He's a beautiful bird though!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

6. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    From what I understand, if u cross a golden lacewing wyandotte and a silver lacewing wyandotte you get blue laced red wyandotte. I don't know if it is that simple but I intend to try it if I ever get a silver lacewing wyandotte. I had a 8 week old pullet but my PR hen killed it when I introduced my 12 young ones to the coop.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA

It isn't that simple. In order to get a blue laced red, the blue gene needs to be present. Gold laced and silver laced Wyandottes do not carry blue. Crossing a gold laced male and silver laced female will give sex linked offspring though.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    psst- it's the other way around- gold male, silver female for sex linked chicks.

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Thanks for reminding me. I knew it didn't sound right when I posted!

10. Fandodge

Fandodge New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    I Bought him as a Chick, along with Several others as Blue Jersey Giants! The others Turned out to Be Blue Jersey Giants, and Pretty Boy here looked the Part as Well. But as he Grew Older Started Displaying these Beautiful Colors. Seems one of the Hens has Some Explaining to Do! He is a Little Smaller than the Giants. I Was Wondering what the Other Part Was! Thanks For all the Replies, Wyanndotte Seems to be the Culprit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by