Ok, what is happening with my eggs, need answers

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Everlong, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Everlong

Everlong Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    So about a month and a half my quail stopped laying eggs, well out of 4, 3 did. My quail changed their feathers etc. Nothing changed in the environment except light-associated with the season. I installed a 100w solar panel with a 7w led flood light to supplement.
    I still get one egg a day. ***? yes, I know, change of season, environment ....but how come, one keeps laying everyday????

2. beautifulchaos

beautifulchaos Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    Are you sure it's the same one laying every time? We have 3 consistent layers and they alternate

3. Everlong

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    no idea, I think its from the same hen. When other were laying eggs were different sizes. Now they are very similar looking size/color wise.
    Still getting one. No idea what went wrong.

4. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    The speckled pattern on the egg is roughly the same from the same hen (or so I've heard). I would try a full spectrum light bulb to see if it makes a difference and extend a day from the early morning so that the quail experience a natural sunset. Also make sure they are getting at least 14 hours of light.

5. Everlong

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Well, got 3 today, first time in like 3 months. You can see the two on the right side are "different". I think my solar setup works ;)

[​IMG]

6. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

I forget how many hours of light quail need for egg laying but im sure its 13-16 hours to inhibit egg laying. I have mine on a sensor for about 15-16 hours a day and almost all my quails still lay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by