Ok what is up with this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ridgefire, May 10, 2009.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I have my coop divided in half right now, I have the 3 week old chicks in their own pen till they are big enough to defend off the adult flock. I went to go refill the water dish in the 3 week pen and when I came back the big girls were in with the little one eating their food. The main feeder for the flock is full there were no other hens feeding so its not like there was competition for the feeder. Do they some how know the difference between layer mash and starter/grower?

2. bremat

bremat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    KY
    I wonder about this, too. Yesterday, my big chickens were out in the yard and I had a feeder up close to the house for Lulu, our month old cochin that thinks she is human. The big chickens cleaned the feeder out, like kids in the cookie jar. They had a feeder full of their food in their coop. I also worry now if it is ok to eat the eggs for awhile since the food is medicated? There was not alot of food in the feeder, thank goodness. I don't know if they know the difference in the food or if they just feel like they are getting something new since it is in a different feeder or location. Was the food they ate medicated?

3. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    My food isnt medicated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by