Ok? ....What just happened?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sorin, May 15, 2011.

1. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Ok, so I'm down giving my 4 1/2 week old chicks some yogurt. I open up the side window in the brooder and they all come out and nibble yogurt off my fingers, and for some reason I decided to crow, just to see their reaction. Wow! Not what I was expecting, they all freaked out! Ran into a corner of the brooder, layed down without moving a muscle or making a sound. After my initial shock, I started laughing like crazy [​IMG] So all I had to do to quiet down those wild parties I keep hearing in the brooder is crow! After I got them back out, I did it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and it wasn't. Don't worry, I didn't do it again [​IMG] they hear my rooster crowing outside their window all day and they never had that reaction, now I realize I don't sound exactly like the rooster, but I'm a close facsimile [​IMG] So was this a predator response do you think? Or, did they think I was warning of a predator?

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Yep you scared em.

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] They were scared to death! They didn't know what the heck was happening or if this wierd person was going to eat them! [​IMG]

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    That's kinda what I thought [​IMG] poor guys!

5. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] We have 3 dogs that live upstairs and our 29 peeps r in the basement. Even tho they hear the dogs everyday (I have raised them all from day old and r now 4, 5, & 6 weeks old) if one of them barks the chicks immediately freeze in place and get quiet and kinda look up! [​IMG] Silly fuzz butts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by