Ok what killed this guy? warning "graphic" photos.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AshleyFishy, Dec 10, 2013.

1. AshleyFishy

AshleyFishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Was it day or night?
    Could be hawk or owl.

3. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Looks like a coon...they always rip off the head like that

4. AshleyFishy

AshleyFishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    Thinking early daylight, his croup was full. I found him around 10am my time. They left his croup and the contents behind. Ate really only the organs and left the rest. The head does seem to be pulled off, I cant find any teeth marks on any of the bone.

5. arturorendon

arturorendon New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    mission,texas
    Put a dummy of a person sitting on chair,like a scarecrow,that would make predators leary

6. Wyandotte12

Wyandotte12 New Egg

Dec 14, 2013
    Oregon
    Wow, sorry for your loss for sure.

We had something take our BIG Wyndotte roo last night right out of the fully covered dog kennel he was in. Looks like he put up quite a fight and what ever it was pulled him out of maybe 4" space between the door and wall of kennel. Pile of feathers right out side the door, then trail of feathers leading up to an area of raised tree trunks where he was found. What ever it was devoured my boy, his poor body was literally torn open and all the meat eaten off the carcass, head and neck weren't bothered though. Am in mourning...............

7. Blue CopperHen

Blue CopperHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Hiwasse, Arkansas
    It looks like a coon got it, I agree. They always removed the head and eat the breast meat. Im sorry [​IMG]

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am inclined to say coon based on more than gross appearance of carcass. Displaced feathers appear slobbered on. Also look carefully at the exposed bone. That is not done by most chicken eating raptors in the Midwest.

9. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Wyandotte 12... that was a coon also. They reach through and grab whatever part of the chicken they can get a hold of and pull them through or eat them through the fence. Not a good way to go. That's why 1/2 hardware cloth is recommended. ..

10. chickhawk68

chickhawk68 New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    Red tailed hawk, looks like same murder scene I had yesterday!!!, but any predator with start eating the soft tissue to get to the tasty meat

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by