OK WHAT STORES SELL TRAPS? Huge pest.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Moochie, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    The people that less than half a block away from us are making me [​IMG] They do absolutely nothing about their cat, except watch us. That blasted cat is pooping on our property. Today it pooped on our property and you know what those people were doing? Someone was watching from a curtain in their window. They lost their previous cat and thought we did something to it. Their previous cat did scare a chicken so bad she broke her neck on a roost. Way early in the morning too. We didn't do anything to the cat though, no shot gun unfortunately. I contacted animal control and there is no law on roaming felines, but we do have the right to trap this cat. These people are nuts, I've heard them saying that they want to kill all my chickens. [​IMG]

I don't know of any Tractor Supply here so that's not an option. I'll check the other feedstores, any utility stores that would sell cat sized traps? Price range also?
    If we get the cat, what do we do with it? Will animal control take it without charging us some kind of fee?

2. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Do you have a Home Depot, Lowes or Hardware store of some type nearby? They will often sell Havahart large sized traps. That is where I got mine for the dang woodchuck. I'm assuming that is what you are looking for. You can take the trespassing cat to the animal shelter and see how long it takes the neighbor's to miss it.... I don't have any experience with drop offs, but I don't think they charge for it - only for adoptions.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I do have those stores around! Phew.

4. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    If you want to get rid of a cat here's what you do - get a cage type trap and bait it with sardines or someother smelly bait - put the trap in a location where nobody can see it - when you have cat in the cage aim a 22 at it's head - it will die instantly - then bury it somewhere in the yard - cat gone and no one knows what happened to it - if neighbor asks if you have seen their cat - tell them if you do you let them know - you are :frownot lying because you won't see it again - don't complain about the cat and don't call animal control - just do it and be quiet about it - it's something how people who own cats think that it's ok to let their cat roam all over the place killing birds and anything else they can catch - I recently read an article where it is estimated that feral cats kill at least 480 million birds annually in the US- many cats carry a parasite called toxoplasmosis which is of special concern to pregnant women - cats are responsible over the years for the extinction of no fewer than 33 bird species worldwide - when you conbine total number of birds that are killed by feral and house hold cats it approaches 1 billion in the US annually - I say - if you love your cat keep it in the house - otherwise it is "fair game" - [​IMG]

5. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Harbor Freight Tools carries some traps, though you could make one with some scrap wood. found some on youtube that have worked great for me!!!

6. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Harbor Freight Tools also sells them. Try checking with animal control before you trap it for fees involved with dropping off etc. Good luck!

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

If they say that they wanted to kill your animals that can be a form of animal abuse call animal control

8. Feral tabby

Feral tabby Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Sacramento
    to JoePa. Birds go extinct because of human development. We destroy native habitat and build it up. There is absolutely no science showing that cats have resulted in the extinction of a bird species. If they did, it's because human development resulted in their introduction.

don't scapegoat them when we are the problem. If you have a problem with a neighbor, don't take it out on the cat. Let them know that the cat is causing problems and that if you find it in your yard you will live trap it and take it to animal control. If they love their cat, they'll keep it indoors. Remember...this is between neighbors and the cat is the innocent victim here. My cats love watching my chickens and I have never had any problems between the two species. Are you sure the cat was to blame??

9. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Domestic cats are considered primarily responsible for the
    extinction of 8 island bird species, including Stephens Island Wren,
    Chatham Island Fernbird, and Auckland Island Merganser, and the
    eradication of 41 bird species from New Zealand islands alone.
    On Marion Island in the Sub-Antarctic Indian Ocean, cats were
    estimated to kill 450,000 seabirds annually prior to cat eradication
    efforts. (Veitch, C.R. 1985. Methods of eradicating feral cats from
    offshore islands in New Zealand. ICBP Technical Publication 3: 125-
    141).

Habitat destruction by humans is a problem but it's one that has significant legal limitations. For example, it can take decades to get a logging permit.

The problem with cats is that 1) they directly kill birds vs. the indirect effects of habitat destruction and 2) there are virtually no laws to prevent this (e.g., no one has ever gone to jail or been fined because their cat killed a bird).

Habitat destruction is just a red herring that the cat hoarders use. There's no reason control of cats and habitat destruction can't be done simultaneously.

Air rifles and night vision scopes work great on neighborhood cats. SSS!​

10. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Before going through the trouble of trying to trap it and spending money, have you confronted the neighbor about their cat face to face yet? Tell them if they don't want to bother with keeping their cat indoors or under control & off your property, you will be taking further measures since it is trespassing on your land. If that doesn't work, then by all means, set the trap right where they can see it to let them know you're serious. Take it to the animal shelter where maybe it will get a new owner that gives a hoot about it.
    (Curious how you heard them say they want to kill your chickens, they said it to your face? There's no excuse for that.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by