ok what the heck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by siz8003, Sep 5, 2007.

1. siz8003

siz8003 Songster

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    ok i think this came from a leghorn or a BO both over 2 yrs why did it happen age?[​IMG]

2. siz8003

siz8003 Songster

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    nothing huh? ok I will say i will give her extra oyster shells ya [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Is it still really hot where you are? It can be calcium absorption problem or heat stress or just a glitch in the system and a one-time thing. Give unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar in their water to help with calcium absorption, two or three tablespoons to a gallon.

4. siz8003

siz8003 Songster

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    ok I do the ACV but someone on here said only do it once a week true? It is not hot at all Im cold! I just got them so not sure what there eating habits were but here they get a bunch of good stuff [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

No, you can do it all the time. I usually have ACV in at least one or two of their waterers. They like it. If you dont already do it, give them a bowl of plain yogurt with active cultures a couple of times a week as well.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  6. siz8003

siz8003 Songster

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    Now i looked for that today and none of them said active cultures what the heck am i looking for

7. speckledhen

Oh, it's in very small print on the ingredient list. Most have it these days. The major brands all seem to.

8. Aun <HIS><

Aun <HIS>< Songster

Jun 28, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Stonyfields plain yogurt is excellent. I use it for the starter to make my own yogurt. (got the recipe here)

9. siz8003

siz8003 Songster

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    ok thanks I will go get it today! I dont want anymore of thoes nasty eggs! [​IMG]

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If you catch them, they're still edible...I've eaten a couple of Obelisk's soft shelled eggs. You just have to use them quicker than regular eggs.
    When softshelled eggs happen, I put the ACV in the water and put out the oystershell calcium.
    I buy the ACV at Whole Foods and the Oyster Shell in the bird section of Petco and PetSmart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: