1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok what the heck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by siz8003, Sep 5, 2007.

1. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    ok i think this came from a leghorn or a BO both over 2 yrs why did it happen age?[​IMG]

2. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    nothing huh? ok I will say i will give her extra oyster shells ya [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is it still really hot where you are? It can be calcium absorption problem or heat stress or just a glitch in the system and a one-time thing. Give unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar in their water to help with calcium absorption, two or three tablespoons to a gallon.

4. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    ok I do the ACV but someone on here said only do it once a week true? It is not hot at all Im cold! I just got them so not sure what there eating habits were but here they get a bunch of good stuff [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

No, you can do it all the time. I usually have ACV in at least one or two of their waterers. They like it. If you dont already do it, give them a bowl of plain yogurt with active cultures a couple of times a week as well.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  6. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    Now i looked for that today and none of them said active cultures what the heck am i looking for

7. speckledhen

Oh, it's in very small print on the ingredient list. Most have it these days. The major brands all seem to.

8. Aun <HIS><

Aun <HIS>< Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Stonyfields plain yogurt is excellent. I use it for the starter to make my own yogurt. (got the recipe here)

9. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    ok thanks I will go get it today! I dont want anymore of thoes nasty eggs! [​IMG]

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If you catch them, they're still edible...I've eaten a couple of Obelisk's soft shelled eggs. You just have to use them quicker than regular eggs.
    When softshelled eggs happen, I put the ACV in the water and put out the oystershell calcium.
    I buy the ACV at Whole Foods and the Oyster Shell in the bird section of Petco and PetSmart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by