Ok, what types of chicks do I have? **LOTS of pics!**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrstillery09, Mar 12, 2012.

1. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Ok, these chicks are about a week old? Maybe older. They were all fluff when we got them last Saturday and are literally growing like weeds! I picked out 6 assorted layers, and 4 straight run barred rock. Now that they are getting bigger, I don't think I have 4 barred rocks, and I'm interested in knowing what they may be! This is my first time owning chicks, so I'm fairly inexperienced.

Chick A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had thought barred rock, but it has different those long front white wings, and only a dark wash on it's legs unlike the ones below.

Chick B
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one I'm thinking is barred rock, only a black wash on front of it's legs, and wings are more stripe-y.

Chick C
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This lovey lady was in the assorted pullets. They were also selling production reds, but she doesn't really look like any production reds I've seen. So I was just curious.

Chick D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The legs started with a wash, but now are definitely turning dark. Also no stripe-y patterns, like the ones I assume are barred rocks.

Chick E
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kind of like the one above, legs are turning dark as well.

Chick F
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG].

Black wash on legs, but not black legs like others and has more of a stripe-y wing pattern.

Chick G
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This chick was the only one who acted playful while I took picture. I'd like to think this little is a rooster but time will tell! s you can see stripe-y pattern tot eh wings and slight dark wash on legs.

Thanks for looking at my pictures, and I can't wait to hear what you think!

2. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    [​IMG]
    picture of my barred rock hen she is about 1 month and 2 weeks old

Chick B,F,G are barred rocks for sure

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Looks like you have A.Barred (poor markings right now)or a mix
    B.Barred
    C. Red Sexlink
    D.Could be an Australorp
    E.Could be an Australorp
    f. Barred
    g. Barred

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  4. Hatch me if you can

Hatch me if you can Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Pendleton, OR
    I am guessing that they are "Hatchery" stock based off of your post. That being said they don't watch breed standards as closely as a breeder would so culls to a breeder would be a potential egg producing/money making bird to a hatchery. That is not taking away from the fact that they may be awesome back yard and or pet chickens. So here is my "uneducated" guess on these little fuzzies.

B,F,G (Barred Rock) and I would agree that G looks like a little roo[​IMG]
    A,D,E (Cookoo Maran) my hens have never lost the few white feathers on their wings
    C (Golden Sex-Link) some of mine range from as dark as a Rhode Island to a dark cream

Good luck with them and enjoy, they are beautiful!![​IMG]

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Don't worry... chick G is indeed a rooster. Barred rock hens only have one copy of the barring gene so they're darker. This guy already has huge bars, really indicative of male (and giving me hope for a few of my TSC straight run BRs!!!).

6. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Awe, she is such a beautiful girl!!

Quote:
    That is great to hear, along with trying in vain to figure out what breed I had, I knew I probably had a roo but didn't know who! I had my suspicions about this one though because he is always standing up tall and giving me the look when I'm at the brooder! Good luck with getting some roos of your own!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by