Ok, what's the trick??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RiverOtter, Jan 9, 2011.

1. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    To candling Quail eggs? I cn see nothing, not even in the white egg. I've candled chicken eggs from light to really dark and duck eggs with this same light and could see at least a blob-which-is-yolk or the presence of veins even if there was no real detail but the quail eggs, nothing. The shell just faintly glows.

Do I just need a stronger light (using a pretty bright LED flashlight) or a Cortunix eggs just nearly impossible to candle?

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I can't candle them, I gave up. Read that some people take the lens off the LED's and candle in a closet.

PM jenlyn she candles all the time. Then let us know.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    "or a Cortunix eggs just nearly impossible to candle?"

DING!

WE HAVE A WINNER! [​IMG]

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I can see enough to tell if there is a chick in it or not, but nothing even slightly detailed.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I can candle by shining through the air sac and checking for veins along the edge. I can't see a chick or movement in the egg. Only the veins along the edge. Same with very dark chicken eggs.

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    What kind of quail can you see veins on?? You must have a heck of a light or you must be seeing things if they are coturnix. I couldn't see veins to save my life, even with an LED maglight.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I sure wish someone ( maybe it should be me??? ) create a Quail Candler!!

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I found maglights to be weak. I can't remember the name now of my candling flashlights and it doesn't matter since they are only sold at Target under that name. The number of leds is also unimportant. You can have a dozen leds but if they are set up for a wide beam only 2 might be useful. You want the highest wattage from the fewest bulbs and the narrowest beam instead of the number of leds.

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It is very narrow, some police I know carry them.

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    corts are easy if it glows it goes LOL I have a few cort hens that lay non pigmented eggs those are easy I use a led maglight in a room with the lights off when corts are first developing I can kina see veins but after 8-10 days they just get dark now bob eggs are sweeeeet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by