1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok what's the true difference between these breeds...?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KansasKid, Dec 1, 2010.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I have seen lots of breeds like silver appleyards and welsh harlequins that look the same but have there distinct differences but a few breeds that i've looked up on the internet look exactly the same to me. So can someone describe the difference between these...

White campbell vs. Pekin (both that are pure white with orange bills)

Golden cascade vs. Saxony (maybe its just me, but to me it looks like the golden cascades are colors are just a few shades lighter compared to the other)

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Golden Cascade girls have different bill colors, and the drakes head color is greenish. The rest is almost the same.

3. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/GoldCas/GoldenCasDrHead.JPEG
    ya in the description it says brown/grey/bronze but the picture looks grey/blue to me.

in these pictures they have darker heads that match the description better i think
    cascade- http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/GoldCas/GoldenCascadeDr.JPEG
    saxony
    - http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Sax/SaxonyDrUK02.JPEG

I
    just think it would be confusing to have them together in a flock. but at least theres a difference in those two. now what about the white cambell and pekin

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  4. Quote:A White Campbell is just another color phase of a Khaki Campbell, the genetic difference is just a couple of genes that affect only the feather coloring, while a Pekin is a completely different breed with a different body type, size, temperment, egg laying ability, etc.

5. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    the more upright body is about the only thing that makes them visually different. but if you looked at the others it would be hard to pick them out, from a decent egg producing pekin or there temperament. [​IMG] a guess this is why i like the ornamental species, its a whole lot easier to tell a mandarin from pintail. [​IMG]

6. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    What if you had to pick out a female green wing out of a pen with all female bluewing,cinnamon,greenwing,baikal,and two or three other teal together. Whew! [​IMG] Basically Pekins are plumper and campbells are more mallard type body

7. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    ya but thats the fun part, the hard part is picking them out when there flying in the air and its teal season but not true duck season. [​IMG]

8. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Don't look at the color - look at the body type. If you have a Pekin and a White Campbell next to one another you would be able to tell the difference without even trying. Pekins have a heavy, chunky body. Campbells are more streamlined and upright.

I have never seen a Golden Cascade in person so I'm not sure how it would look compared to a Saxony. I have Saxonies, though, and if Cascades are an egg duck then they will not be anywhere near as large or heavy as a good Saxony.

Harlequins and Appleyards are the same way - Harlequins are a small, streamlined egg laying duck. Appleyards have more of a heavy Pekin or Saxony build (aka, a "meat build").

Once you look at the build instead of strictly the color it becomes _much_ easier to tell the differences between them.

9. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:Green wing-green speculum feathers
    blue wing-blue upper wing coverts
    Cinnamon-same uhh.....lighter upper wing coverts and a more elongated spoon like bill (not quite like a shoveler) thats all i got for them [​IMG]
    Baikal-distinct white dot up against the bill
    Marbled-there pattern on there saddle is brown with white dots
    Garganey-resembles mallard hen with black bill and green speculum feathers with white tipped secondaries
    Ringed-female has distinct white patterned face
    Cape-pink bill
    chestnut breasted-redish eyes
    hottentot-blue/green speculum feather, brown body color pattern and uhh the only way i can describe it, side burns on the cheeks
    silver-clean cheeked blue bill but with yellow around nostril and grey striped color pattern on stern
    puna-clean cheeked but straight blue bill and grey striped color pattern on stern
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

ugh, whew took me a while to find a difference between the cinnamon and blue. How did i do? [​IMG] (easy when you have google images at your fingertips) [​IMG]

10. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Im VERY impressed [​IMG] And YES all are fairly easy to distinguish in the flesh except the cinnamon and bluewing (Thats why its not reccomended to keep adults together,crosses) You get an A+ in my book. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by