Ok, what's up with this?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cynthia12, May 4, 2011.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I have a hen, that just laid an egg. One of my other hens also finished laying, and came out of the coop. The first hen, jumped on the back of the other hen, and went to town! If you know what I mean. She acted just like a rooster! She was not fighting. She was..ah huh!
    And the hen she was on, just squat for her.
    Now, before anyone asks me if I'm sure she's a hen, I only have 5 hens. I know what each hen lays. I can't have roosters. So, what the heck is going on here?!

Thanks, from myself that just stood there in awe and watched, and my DH that was laughing when I came in and asked, did you see that?? While still laughing, he said yes, and said she was a morphadite....spelling, but I'm not worried about spelling right now!

2. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    sign of the times i guess

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Occasionally, a flock of hens without a rooster will trigger a hen to take on the rooster's role, exhibiting dominance behavior plus other actions normally handled by a roo. She may even attempt to crow, and yet still lay eggs.

I believe you may have a hen who just cannot stand disorder and anarchy, and is stepping into the rooster role for your flock. [​IMG]

4. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I think your hen may have just come out of the closet if you know what I mean!!! Rename her Butch!!! [​IMG]

5. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:Tis true!

I have a "hen" that crows, though I have plenty of roosters. Something is just "off" with her. She crows and acts like a rooster, but doesn't mate (with either sex) and she doesn't lay eggs.

6. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    lol...loved the responses, and I did think of the dominance thing. Dogs will do that also.

So, I think, I will....call her Butch. For real!! Crazy chicken! [​IMG]

7. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:X2

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Girls just wanna have fun." "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."[​IMG]

9. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Later today, OR tomorrow, IF I remember, I will post a pic or a video of my crowing Silver Campine hen. She is quite pretty . . . but honestly, aren't there enough roosters crowing that she doesn't have to chime in?! (She has a rather wimpy, but brave crow, btw.)

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh, this girl wants to crow too. She makes the most noise of any chicken..and she will just go around and make a noise like the hens do after laying an egg..only she will do this even if she didn't just lay an egg. Yep, she thinks she's all that..and so does my husband, a little of this and a little of that...and....
    I would love to see your chickenhen crowing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by