Ok, when will it happen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TERRY4, Aug 12, 2013.

1. TERRY4

TERRY4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    When will these monster chickens lay eggs? These girls are huge, compared to some of the same breed that we've seen at fairs. I have 5 barred rocks and 1 RIR. Most are acting like they're going to lay, for weeks now it seems. These girls are approx. 21 weeks old now, have really red everything, and act and sound like I'm reading about. I check a couple of times a day and nothing!

I have clean straw in 6 nest boxes, with a golf ball in each, just in case! I have them on layer feed, oyster shell, and all is well. But no eggs yet. I honestly can't believe I'm asking cause I know they'll lay when they're ready. But just in case you have some info, I'm asking!

Thank you chicken peeps!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Any day.

They'll check out the nests for a week or 2 before the first egg.

3. TERRY4

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    Thanks. that makes me feel better. I saw one in a nest box a couple of months ago. But that was way too early. I'm not usually so ansty, but this is making me nuts. Lol.. Well, time to go do chores. Maybe today huh? [​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Patience is a virtue

AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!

5. TERRY4

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    Lol.. Yes that about sums it up. But life goes on. I'll check later.

6. TERRY4

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    Ok an update! The girls have been making extra loud grumblings lately, when outside. Now this morning, one was in the coop squawking and she tore the straw up in a nest, and knocked the golf ball out. She stopped a bit later and was outside with the rest. How long after this before she lays an egg? The rest seemed very interested in her too. Maybe she's showing them how?

Thanks.

7. barnaclebob

barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    it should be any day now but could be a week or two.

8. TERRY4

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    Got one small egg this morning so far. Lol.. I guess they'll get bigger as they lay.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by