ok...who ate my turkey??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by maple, Jul 13, 2010.

1. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Which one of you sons a guns??? [​IMG]

I woke up this morning to find that I did not lock up one of my turkeys apparently...it was really dark last night and I did not get a head count...and there were feathers ALL over the yard.

I followed the trail of feathers to find the only thing other than feathers left was it's intestines and I think the red thing was a gizzard or heart? Anyway, bones and all...gone.

I'm thinkin coyote than maybe? I know they are across the feilds in the woods--I hear them yippin and I know my neighbors have claimed to see at least one on our side of the road.

Lately I've seen 2 red tail hawks that have come close but have been scared away by our dog. Our dog was inside last night. I haven't seen the hawks for a week. I know there's possum and coons but they usually leave a carcass behind. That's why I'm wondering if y'all think it was a coyote to leave nothin but feathers and guts behind?

The nerve of that coyote to come up on to my property...doesn't he have a whole wooded area and feilds of prey he can feed on? geesh...now that leaves me with 2 turkeys and I was gonna give one to my mama. There he goes messin with my Thanksgiving plans.

But the one thing I was grateful for is that it turned out NOT to be one of my daughter's pet ducks. whew. Thank God for that. Although my 4 year old daughter started crying that was her favorite turkey....like she could tell a difference. She's funny.

Thanks for weighin in.

gretch

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. NanoByte

NanoByte Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    Where do you live?

Its probabley a hunter looking for feathers and stuff.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Darn... that dirty rotten turkey napper!!!!!!!
    I bet it was Elmer Fudd... [​IMG]

4. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Sounds like a K-9 attack! Prolly a Coyote... [​IMG]

5. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    BURRRRRP! [​IMG] sorry got hungry:duc
    hope you get the booger!!!!! [​IMG]

6. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    whoops....sorry...I live in Northern Illinois.

yeah the feathers looked like they were slobbered on...I figured some kind of k-9 too although I did look at my outside cat sideways for a minute but decided he didn't have a fat enough stomach. [​IMG] He goes right up and drinks water side by side with the chickens, ducks... So I got concerned about him and his sister and went looking for them after I found the feathers and I found them both. whew.

I know there's been sightings of mountain lions following the railroad tracks that are only about 1/4 of a mile to my south but no one "official" will attest to that.

My guess is coyote...so what am I still doing over at Grandma's?? I better get home...yipes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by