Ok who knows about Rouens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ticks, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Can someone help with this problem?
    Let's say 3/4 of my Rouens get greenish bills at 5 weeks. Does that mean they are all drakes? One has an orange bill.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've never had rouens, but I've read you can only determine gender by their quacks. Females are loud, males are quieter.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Yes but you can a,so tell by bill color

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I've had rouen, but none of them had greenish bills. They either had yellow or orange, both of mine were female and one had an orange bill, while the other had yellow.

-Kim

5. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    Not for certain, but I was told once that the green ones were males and the yellow/orange colored ones were female.

6. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    I have been told the same that the Drakes have a greenish yellow bill and the Duck will have more yellow/orange or yellowish brown bill. In my flock of 11 juveniles I have 5 that have greenish yellow look to their bills. And the Noisier more voicetrest ones have a more yellow bill. So I think there maybe some thing to it.

This is My older Drake Peanut Not the best photo to show color of his bill. It does have a greenish cast to it.
    [​IMG]

This is our Female Butter she has since pasted [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if this helps or not ...
    But I believe there is something to the bill color.
    That how we will pick out 2 young males and 2 young females for Noah to show at 4H next week.

I think I would wait a bit longer than 5 weeks to determine if Drake or not. ours are about 10 -12 weeks old.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    My 3 Rouen drakes all have a green bill and a soft voice. My female has a brown bill and a loud quack. Mine are three months old and the males got their male coloring feathers and upcurled drake tail feathers about a month ago, at two months.

Edited to add - here's a pic of them taken yesterday. The Rouens are the largest - the rest are Mallards.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I wish I could post pics but my camera broke.

9. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    Best guess Ticks that the ones with greenish bills that talk softly are Drakes......
    Believe me the females do quack loudly and often... [​IMG] what am I saying I'm female..... [​IMG]

10. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I have 2 female rouens, for the first year one had a brown bill, the other orange, now they are both brown. The drake has a greenish bill, the green head and he had a white ring around his neck till his last molt this summer. The females also have 2 eye stripes, the male, one, no idea if that is telling or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by