Ok, who's gonna tell me how to use this thing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Tomorrow morning I'm picking up my new to me bator.

I've been told it's a Hova Bator but the kid who has it doesn't have the manual anymore and cannot remember what model it is.
    He had a bunch of bators that he used to use for reptile eggs and was unloading them cheap since he doesn't use them anymore. Apparently it's really clean and works fine.

I have never used a incubator before, how do I use it?
    He mentioned that I would need to get a digital thermometer that does temp and humidity and that you control the humidity by pouring water in the bottom?

Even if it's immacuately clean, should I clean it prior to use? If so, how?

Is there anything special I should know about where in the bator to put the thermometer?

Thanks guys! [​IMG]

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Will need a lot more infor on this one. Is it a still air or forced air model? Knowing just that will help some. I would clean it for it had snaked in it, not chickens. Placement of the thremometer also depends on the type of bator. Come back to us when you have all the infor and we will be glad to help.

3. Quote:I shall ask....

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I also was going to suggest going to the GQF site for the instructions. I did for mine and it was worthwhile. Good luck hatching.

5. Here's the reply from him:
    "It is a still air incubator, but without an egg turner you are going to be in there enough to circulate the air."

[​IMG]

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I would go ahead and clean it. Better safe than sorry.

Others have already provided links for instructions.

-Kim

7. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    When I got my used bator I completely took it apart and put it in the bath tub and scrubed in bleach and dish soap. Rinsed really well let dry a couple days. Then put it all back together. Started it up and let it run for 7 days to get regulated and stable before placing eggs.

You don't want to take a chane of exposing your eggs to bacteria growing in the bator.

Miss Prissy has a thread about sterilizing bator and that's what I followed.

Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by