ok why is this happening????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PrestonSloan08, Jul 16, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    ok so ive been trying to incubate chicks for a while now and not much luck!! they will be alive all the way till the hatching point and then they will die!!! i dont know what to do!!! i cracked some open today to see why they didnt hatch and this is what it looked like!!! it still had some yolk on it for some reason!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Looks like a quitter, or a bird that dies during development. Is your incubator holding a steady temperature? What have your humidity levels been doing ? That is usually the problem, except if eggs are shipped and that adds more difficulty.

3. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    well they are shipped so that is probably it!!! its just getting frustrating!!!!

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I just went through a hatch with shipped eggs..

30 eggs total.. 12 from one seller (only 7 made it to lockdown) and 18 from another seller (12 made it to lockdown)
    out of those 1 was a quitter... the other 18 hatched

Normally I have 90 to 100% hatch rate.. so yeah.. you just never know with shipped eggs

5. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Looks like he didnt absorbed the yolk very well

in most cases this is caused for high humidity

what humidity di you have trough the incubation?

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    The feet look like they might be a little deformed, too. What was the humidity at for days 1-18?

7. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    well the humidity was solid at 40 % untill lockdown

8. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Hmm...well if the temp and humidity were good, it might be that the eggs were damaged in the mail. [​IMG]

9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:i know that's the case with mine.. considering that all the others that made it to lockdown hatched perfectly

10. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    what was your humidity??? i dont think being shipped eggs affects how often this happens. (I've had this happen MORE with fresh eggs than shipped eggs actually)

this usually happens when the humidity is too high or too low, or if the egg wasn't positioned right during incubation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by