Ok why isn't Big Girl laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by galanie, Nov 5, 2011.

1. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have a Buff Orp that quit laying. Ok everyone has hens that have quit laying, I know, but she should be laying. She molted pretty heavily in September then resumed laying really well. Then, almost 2 weeks ago, she just stopped. Just.. nothing for more than 10 days. I'm stumped. Everyone else is doing as expected. One of the others stopped too but she's molting. The others didn't lay well during the extreme summer heat nor did she but now they are laying like clockwork. All but Big Girl, the head honcho. My Jumbo egg laying sweetheart. ARGH!

They are all getting 18% grower since I have broilers and refuse to buy multiple types of food. They have free choice oyster shell and get Kefir (its a sort of buttermilk type stuff for those that haven't heard of it) and kefir whey regularly to help supplement their calcium. There had not been any changes in feed when she stopped. They have a rooster but he's young and the older women haven't accepted him as the Man yet. But Big Girl never did take on rooster mannerisms other than being the first with warning alarms. So it's not that.

I did notice what looked like a fowl pox mark on one wattle yesterday. Could that be it? I looked up fowl pox but didn't see reference to it making them quit laying. Just to be clear, she's the same breed as the others that are still laying like clockwork. It's not day length. Even the dark cornish is laying almost every day though. One last thought: She does lay a shell less egg from time to time. None of the others do that. And I know absolutely for sure who is doing what because I trap nest. I have looked diligently everywhere quite often just in case she may be laying somewhere else, even keeping tabs on them throughout the day pretty closely, and I'm convinced she is *not* laying somewhere hidden.

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I'm starting to think some of them stop laying when the others molt. I have only one bird that is molting and I have 3 that aren't laying right now but are not molting.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The last time my girls went off lay for no apparent reason I discovered they were crawling with mites. You may want to check for bugs and worms.

Good luck.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Good suggestion. But that's probably the one thing I didn't put in my post. I checked them, and also they were wormed about 6 weeks ago. Their favorite place to dust bathe has lots of wood ashes and so far I've yet to see any mites on them. I think I'll double check though. Still, it's only one that has me puzzled, the rest are doing as expected.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by