Ok will these work as incubators? Pics included!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken_angler, Aug 12, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Ok yesterday my dad found two of these big styrofoam boxes out for the garbage and he brought them home to me. I figured we could use one as a worm ranch type thing and the other one i could turn into a incubator!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will they work and what all do you need in a incubator? Any tips and pics would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
  3. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

What a lucky find! Go for it--I might even be tempted to use both for incubators.

My worm farm does really well in just a plain old rubber maid tote for $7.00.

I've had a hard time finding nice sized styrofoam coolers around here.

Becky

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    I'm so jealous! [​IMG]

i wish i could find 2 coolers like that [​IMG]

5. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Thanks for the answers! I think it will work cause it has a very tight seal on the lid . I saw some ladys incubator made out of a plastic cooler on here and she had a hole cut in the side and some sort of glove thing in the hole to turn the eggs! I thought that was cool. I think I will cut a hole in the top and put a piece of glass on there. My dad has a lot of lamp and electrical parts around cause he is a handyman. I will look in the garage today and see what I can find!

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:They only run about $4.00 at wal mart

7. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohh lucky you! I'm looking for some like that too! MissPrissy has some great ideas on this subject. Good luck with your new find!

8. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Did he say where he found them? Like outside of a store? I would love to find those here in Maine. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    He found them in-town. They were out with someones garbage!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by