OK without the heat lamp tonight?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PuffMommy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    They've been in the coop since they were 2 weeks old and they spent their first night without the lamp (at almost 6 week old) last night because it's been so hot and humid here. However, it's supposed to go down to 60 tonight and I'm wondering if this is ok. They seem to be pretty feathered out, but this is my first time owning chickens and I don't really know what fully-feathered looks like. My instincts tell me they are fine but just want some of you to tell me it's ok...(or not) Thank you!

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    My vote is that they would be just fine. My last batch seemed to like it cooler than suggested. For example instead of 95 as day olds they perferred 80. So it wasn't long before the light was not nes. If there are no drafts they should be fine. Was your temp outside today much warmer than that? Did they seem happy/ Just a few things to look at. I would check on them after about an hour. If they are huddled then turn the light on. What do you guys think? Good luck.

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My daughter forgot to turn on the heat lamp the other night (its too hot here to have it on during the day) They were Ok in the morning but i think a little chilled. It had got down to about 70 in their brooder box. (1 week olds) I think I had my other 2 off the heat lamp all together around 6 weeks. Just depends on the weather where you live.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm sure they'll be fine.

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Good Morning Puffmommy! How did your babies do?

6. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    they were fine - thanks for asking! it's strange, though. i have 2 buff orps, 2 rr's and 2 silver laces wy's. all were up on the perch but the 2 wyandottes (huddled in a nest box). those two always seem to be the most shy...now i'm changing the subject but do you think this is a pecking order thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by