Ok, you bunch of enablers! Now what?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pumpkinpup, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You guys are SOOOO bad for me! I have finally given in to the evil plot of the Silkies! [​IMG] I have 8 chicks about 6 weeks old. How old do they have to be before I can tell what sex they are? I am clueless. [​IMG]
    You have wrought this upon me, so, NOW tell me dark secrets of the Silkies!

[​IMG] I'm new to all this evil plotting and stuff [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I think mine were about 12 weeks old before I could tell which was the girls and who was the boys. The boys get streamers from the back of their heads like long feathers or extra fluff. The girls get much more puffy head dresses. But it could be the bloodlines, also. I am not sure if it works on all Silkies.
    It was also easy to tell when they fluffed up their hackles and went at each other acting like they were so tough![​IMG]

3. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Oh boy! I may have mostly males then [​IMG] They cavort about all fluffed out and sizing each other up! It's a riot to watch them.

All I wanted were some hens for broodies [​IMG] RATS!

4. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Missouri chick may be able to help you out. She has just hatched 2 batches of silkies, and she has some adults also. She may be willing to swap a few girls for some eggs? I can't speak for her, but I would ask. [​IMG]
    She has been bitten by the silkie bug, too. [​IMG]

Edited to add: Chicks, males and females will do the sizing each other up kinda thing to see who is who in the pecking order...

5. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I have been suckered into silkies myself. My last hatch, most were boys. I have no luck. The way I told the sex, was the boys all had wider, bumpier combs, some actually became pinkish, they do size each other up all the time, and the boys weigh alot more than the girls. My roos at 12 weeks were about 2 pounds where the girls were 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. The boys legs were thicker and stood taller. Silkies are evil and I can't get enough myself. Hope this helps.. [​IMG]

6. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    They are evil little buggers! You can NOT resist them once you have been around them a bit. Even my poor DH has fallen victim! [​IMG]

We are doomed I know!

7. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I too have obtained the madness for silkies. I will be placing my order for 25 of the little evil fuzzy butts in a couple of weeks. I am so thankful that BYC is free therapy !! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I can tell you that it is near impossible to sex them until they crow or lay an egg. I swear to you. [​IMG]
    The ones I thought were roos layed eggs at 4 1/2 months. Hens crowed.........
    I don't care what anyone says......they hide their sex just to torment you. [​IMG]

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I could not sex my silkies until they were nearly 14 weeks old! Let me just say.... its those roos who wait for ever to tell you, so you like them so much that you have to keep them by the time you know!!!!
    [​IMG]

Then they become evil jerks! [​IMG]

10. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I keep a close eye around their beaks. I've found that early comb and/or wattle formation is most usually a roo with my little one. But honestly, even evil silkie roos are fun to watch.

I gave my neighbor one of my roos and this little fluffy thing rules the roost of rhode island reds and a big tom turkey. If they're not keeping up with him when they storm the yard he goes back and looks for them until they catch up. And you gotta love the stomping dance they do with their fluffy feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by