ok you guys did it tell me more about owning goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mamato3, Apr 6, 2009.

1. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    Ive seen so many baby goat pics i want 1 well 2 since there herd animals. Since i only have a half acre yard i need small goats, i was thinking about the pygmy's goats. They will also be able to use the half acre behind my house when my dads bull is not there.
    Ok so i need a smal goat thats kid friendly, easy to care for, not a fence jumper, healthy breed. Ok that about all i can think of. O i was thinking of get a doe and buck so how are the bucks are they smelly or mean? O also cant have a noisy goat as my aunt and mom and dads house is close by. My other option is a mini horse but goats are cheaper to buy and i think will help keep the lawn mowed and fertilized better. They will live in the front yard alot as we never use it and it grows lots of weeds that im always mowing down. The backyard we will let them in there when were wanting to bond with them and to munch on the grass. And if they need a bit more land i will put them on some of dads land from time to time.

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    If they are just pets and you want small I would go Pygmy. Mine are Saanan and Alpine but they are big.

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    for kid friendly I would suggest no horns also, and bottle fed kids are like little puppy dogs!

4. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    If you want a quiet goat, get wethers, Pygmys are great fun, but I'm prejudice, that is my breed. Do not expect them to eat the grass, or the weeds. They would about have to be starving to do that, and of course I know you wouldn't do that to them. They need fresh hay daily, and grain while they are growing.

5. mamato3

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    Ok yes they will be pets. I think after doing a bit of research i will not get a buck just 2 does or a doe and a wither i think is what you call the fixed boys.
    What about this gat is this a good deal? Is he still needing bottles? will he be fine alone for a month or 2 or should i wait?

Beautiful and sweet 9 week old Pygmy baby for sale. This little guy has already been banded, de-horned, and is current on all vaccines. He is a gorgeous black and white. Great pet or 4H project. Good loving home only. Asking $30 to help cover vet expenses.

6. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Oh, forgot to mention, you DO NOT want a buck, they are stinky, noisy, and if you have a doe, she will be pregnant all the time. You do not want does, because some stand and scream for 2-3 days each month calling the bucks from neighboring counties. Neutered males (wethers) are friendly, and quiet.

7. mamato3

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    I called the lady that had that baby goat and she told me he was weaned already is this young for a baby to be weaned?

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Many people wean at 8 weeks old. That is the youngest I, personally, would ever wean a goat but he should be just fine at that age.

I would suggest getting two wethers also. If you get this little boy, he sounds nice, make sure you can get another Pygmy boy close to his age real quickly. They will grow up together and be best buds and very happy to have a friend to play with.

Find out what she's feeding him and keep him on that. If you need to change his feed do it very slowly over a period of a couple of weeks, if possible.

What are you still doing here reading... shouldn't you be going to pick up that little boy? LOL!

9. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    In your situation I would get a pair of disbudded wethers, either pygmy or nigerian. If there is plenty of browse they shouldn't need hay in the summer, but will need it in the winter. They will also need regular hoof trimmings.

Get something friendly, bottle kids are good, or well handled dam raised kids.

This little one sounds nice! Go see him and if he's friendly he sounds like a good choice! And you will want to start looking for a friend right away! Does are fine as pets to, but they are generally more expensive and some are annoying when they are in heat, I generally recommend wethers for "just pets".

10. mamato3

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    Ok ya ive decided to look for 2 boys if she still has that boy i would like to get him but im still a month a way from getting some. Im thinking about a Pygmy and a Nigerian Dwarf. Im still trying to figure out how much land they need. I read they need 20 sq feet is that all they need? so for 2 it would be 40 sq ft? Is there any good mini goat site that have good info on care and keeping of them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by