Okay----Again With The BBS Orps!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Winggedheart, Apr 20, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

None of those are splash. Splash looks creamy/silvery white, sometimes with a bit of yellowish tinge.

This is a splash Rock:
    [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    They appear to be mottled. What breed, I'm not sure. Since they look like they have yellow skin, I would say they are not orpington. Could be rock or cochin. Do they have feathers going down their legs?

3. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    Quote:Now see, that's kinda what I thought, but the whole deal confuses me.

4. Winggedheart

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    Quote:No feathers going down their legs, though they actually seem to have nearly more green skin then yellow. Nearly all three have greenish halfway down, then yellow.

These birds are supposed to be BBS LF orps. They were marked BBS also as eggs. I got them from a member of this place.

5. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Hey Journee, If those are the three you hatched from mine they are not showing anything unusual from what I have seen in blue and even black orpingtons for that matter. I just hatched 5 of them myself this weekend, adorable little chunkers. [​IMG] I have blues and black that have that type of white all the time and as they get to be older they loose those baby feathers and get in solid adult plumage. I even have some of my blacks look mottled till they get their adult feathers. Legs do start out a slate or blackish color and then a skin tone half way down, usually darkens with age (notice in pictures below). Oh and they are from my stock they 100% Orpington. [​IMG]

Here are some pictures of one of my bantam orps that started out that way, she had allot of white.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is her now at 5 months, coming in the most gorgeous laced blue. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of the ones I hatched this weekend along with a lav & two slit blacks
    [​IMG]

6. Winggedheart

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    Quote:Okay good, thank you. [​IMG] Yes, they are the ones I got from you. I figured it was very possible that they'd molt out blue or something, but the whole deal had me quite confused.

7. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Yeah, I used to sweat that kind of stuff too but now I see what the end result is and just love what they turn in to. I just keep good photo documents to go back and compare to when I have things hatch I am not sure of to see if I have had it before. Hopefully they will be gorgeous laced girls for you! [​IMG] (unless you wants boys [​IMG] )

8. Winggedheart

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    Quote:Lol. I feather-sexed them when they hatched and again shortly after, and from what I can tell the first chick, Jojo, is a cock and the others are maybe hens...but I'm not sure. [​IMG]

9. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    How old are they now, not very big combs on any of them yet... May be three pullets. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by