Okay another dead rooster.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SoccerMomof7, Jan 20, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay now the little mean banty rooster that has been torturing my house for the last couple of weeks my daughter found laying on the ground. Well when I got there it looked like he was having a seizure or something flopping around for lack of a better description. I looked him over and can see no blood, he was laying right on a fence line and on the other side were dogs. I wonder if one of the dogs could have gotten him without there being any visable signs? I just saw these dogs chasing my chickens yesterday. There are no visable signs of why he died, and if the dogs didn't get him then why are roosters dieing with no warning signs??? This will be the 2nd one within a month span! What is going on???

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My bet the dogs got ahold of him. They can cause stress big time.

3. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Should I try to talk to the owners? They barely speak english....and they have like 10 pit bulls. They get into my yard all the time and scare the poop out of me.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    sadly that "seizure" was the death flops (the nerves fireing before thebrain fully dies) [​IMG]

ibet it was the dog

one quick grab and shake and most animals are dead in the mouth of a dog

5. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Quote:Well, yeah. They need to understand that their dogs are not welcome. Are they even allowed to have that many dogs?

What language is it? There are translators on line, you can put it in English, and you can print in their language.

You need to feel safe in your own yard.

Cheri

6. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    It is a house full of mexican workers. They just build this big dog enclosure way in the back of their property, they have been out there all day and night last night and then when I found the rooster not 1 person or dog insight. It was all very strange.

7. beerguzzler

beerguzzler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    I would call Animal Control (Dog Catcher) anytime I would see one of those dogs in my yard and take a picture while I was at it to prove it. It's a tough call to make since it could start a Hatfield and McCoy feud but the safety of my family would be first and foremost.

I don't know the local law where you live but here in my area, if I feel threatend on my property by another person/animal on my property, I am allowed to protect myself using any alternative I have.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If those are the dogs I saw west of your house yesterday, they were a scary looking bunch!!

9. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You might want to call Animal Control just to find out what the laws are -- some areas have pretty strict regulations regarding pit bulls. Ten seems like an awful lot for just your average backyard. Spending all day and all night "out there" sounds ominous, too. It's worth having it checked out, if only to be certain they aren't engaging in or training for dog fighting. People like that see poultry as bait.

10. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Yea that was the ones, from the house to the west. There are a bunch of them, I am just scared to go over there. We really have had nothing but problems with them and just recently have been getting along. I have this feeling this is a no win situation. I am not one to let things go, and I just warned them yesterday. My husband said I can't let the chickens out until we figure it out or fence in an area. AHHHH I just don't know what to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by