Okay, another 'duh' moment...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 20, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I had 4 incubators. I decided to return one of the borrowed bators the other day, thinking I have 2 with eggs and one empty, that should be fine right? WRONG!!! [​IMG]

My new dilemma...

Like an idiot I ordered eggs from here and ebay. I got 3 different sets of eggs within 5 or 6 days of each other. So this means I have 3 sets of eggs due within 5 or 6 days of each other! It works out to being:

hatch 1: due Friday Jan. 23
    hatch 2: due Sunday Jan 25
    hatch 3: due Tuesday Jan 27....

So how can I do this with only one bator to hatch in? I may have enough room in the other bator to put the eggs that are due in 2 weeks into, but I'm not sure. I was thinking of waiting till tomorrow (day 19 for the first set, day 15 for the third set) and moving them all, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Would it affect the third set to move them to the hatcher 3 days early? I might be able to continue turning by hand for a few days, at least till the first set pips, but I don't know.

Any experts out there? Just cause I'm a flock mistress doesn't mean I'm an expert! It just means I have WAY too much free time! [​IMG]

2. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    that's a whole lot of eggs [​IMG]
    I'm afraid to start this whole hatching thing, cause I know I may not ever quit and end up the same way....

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    haha Shelley why do you do this to yourself! [​IMG]

I have eggies due on the 23rd and 27th tooo!!!!

I have no answers for you myself....I hatch in the same incubator I use to incubate them in. Even when I get my cabinet incubator I wont move them to a "hatcher"....just hatch them where they are i guess im lazy ha ha [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Well, I figured that I had one empty for hatching, so I would be fine. But I didn't think about them being sooooo close! I don't think it will hurt them, but I don't know. I can try to do some rearranging to have 2 bators to use as hatchers, but I'm not sure.

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:you'll figure it out I have faith in ya lol

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

If your eggs are all on time, you should be fine. Just take them out of the hatcher, scrub the bottom, put back together and add more eggs. Lots of times I don't get mine transfered over until the 19th day anyway..

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Ditto pack the two bators you have already loaded with more eggs . Dont forget to mark the date and use the 3rd empty one as a hatcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by