okay, back to my sick bantam...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slackwater, Mar 14, 2013.

1. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Several weeks ago I posted about a bantam cochin hen that was weak and had a head tic, but otherwise appeared okay (no breathing difficulty, eating/drinking well, normal just about everything else). Several people mentioned Mareks, but her symptoms didn't mirror classic Mareks. Anyways, I brought her inside and babied her for a while, and she perked right back up, except that she still just seems...overly quiet? She hasn't even tried to get out of the box. Not sure if that's just her personality or...

I digress. Last weeked I put her outside back in her pen...and when I went out and checked on her a few hours later, she was having trouble walking again, and the head tic was back. I brought her back inside...and she was fine by the morning.

NONE of the other chickens are demonstrating any issues, and the food/water doesn't change from inside to outside, so I don't think it's anything environmental - except it HAS to be! My mom says she likes being a house chicken :/ and is playing it up. Thoughts? I don't want to kill her by putting her outside, but I also don't want her to live inside forever.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    chickens dont "play" sick! something is happing with her! i urge you to take her to the vet and get tested . if its mareks it will come up in test. chickens act strong so others don't suspect illness until they can't hide it any longer but they most certainly won't play ill! not to come inside, not for any reason. you have something going on with your chicken! she needs to be tested. if its not mareks then the vet can tell you what is going on with her.

3. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    LOL - *I* know she's not actually playing - my mom was suggesting that tongue-in-cheek. She raises cockatiels, so she's well versed in the "fake it until you die" approach of birds in general.

If it were Mareks though - wouldn't it progress, despite her being inside? It's been more than 2 weeks since the initial onset of symptoms, and she's not showing ANY symptoms inside. In fact, she looks like a normal chicken inside.

I will have to see if I can find a chicken vet. There is an avian vet around here, but they have been uncomfortable treating chickens in the past...they focus on parrot-type birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by