Okay, best guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by whidbeylife4me, Nov 13, 2011.

1. whidbeylife4me

whidbeylife4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    He was supposed to be a Columbian Rock, and I cant find anything with his coloring. He is sweet and about 7m old, the pic is him a couple months ago. Thanks Joy

2. whidbeylife4me

Feb 7, 2011
    [​IMG]

For previous post, pic helps alot:lol:

3. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Light Brahma without leg feathering?? I really don't know, that is just a guess. [​IMG]

Edit to add: Just noticed you said he's supposed to be a Columbian Rock. He does look kind of like one...possibly something else mixed in, or just hatchery quality?? Not sure.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  4. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Maybe a columbian wyandotte. Not sure if the feathering around his neck is quite right. Here's a picture of one of our roos when he was younger [​IMG]
    He's grown quite a bit since this pic and his neck and back feathers have darkened significantly and looks quite a bit like your boy.

Edited because I accidentally uploaded a pic of a hen...whoops!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Not a wyandotte, he has a straight comb. He could just be a hatchery quality rock, or a rock mix maybe.

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I agree with maybe Columbian Rock cross. He seems to have a different color leaking through on his wings. Some hatcheries have cross breeds for egg and meat purposes. Mt. Healthy Hatcheries has
    Columbian Rock Cross Chickens
    Produced by mating a Rhode Island Red female with a Columbian male, this robust, dual-purpose bird is know for its ability to efficiently produce eggs even in the coldest of climates. An excellent layer of cream colored brown eggs with a calm good natured disposition, this cross is a great choice for the family flock. Females are basic white with the traditional Columbian pattern of black laced across the neck and black-trimmed wing tips and tails. Males have different shades of brown mixed throughout their feathering.​

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i dont think he is a rock. he is to gamey looking but he may get better looking. i am thinking that he is a mix of some sort

8. Rileysixchix

Rileysixchix Chillin' With My Peeps

rock delaware cross?

9. whidbeylife4me

Feb 7, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, I am pretty sure he was one I got from Dunlap, I have a hen thats supposed to be Columbian rock also. No complaints, just didnt look quite like what I had looked up. He is sweet so far and is watching his 14 girls(I do have an Amercauna roo possibly from Cloverleaf and a Copper Marans roo to hopefully bring down the ratio. )
    Thanks Joy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by