okay bought new Electric thermal fogger what would yall recomment I put in it ?

ladyearth

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2013
kentucky
I want to fog their coop so suspicious of mites..... Older chicken avoide going in it then snuck down in youngers group to tey and lay eggs and lounge in their coop...
To use it s a THERMAL fogger it needs an OIL only based product
otherwise info says, can remove the heat element front and put water based product in
sure would like to try a less toxic one agin. but most of those a water diluted....
Suggestions ???
thanks yall

Frankly, I wouldn't treat for something if I don't know for sure it's necessary. Where would you keep your birds while you're fogging? If you think they have mites, why not dust them and the roosts directly? I'm not trying to be critical, just wondering. I know that with other foggers, (OK, the ones I buy at the hardware store in the spring to get rid of spiders in a little cabin I stay in during the month of June) you need to vacate the building of people and pets and not go back in for at least 4 hours. That would kill what's in the building, but not the ones on your birds. Like I said, I'm just curious as to how your fogger works and how it could be safe to use with your chickens in the coop.

Frankly, I wouldn't treat for something if I don't know for sure it's necessary. Where would you keep your birds while you're fogging? If you think they have mites, why not dust them and the roosts directly? I'm not trying to be critical, just wondering. I know that with other foggers, (OK, the ones I buy at the hardware store in the spring to get rid of spiders in a little cabin I stay in during the month of June) you need to vacate the building of people and pets and not go back in for at least 4 hours. That would kill what's in the building, but not the ones on your birds. Like I said, I'm just curious as to how your fogger works and how it could be safe to use with your chickens in the coop.
x2

I spray my coop in the summer. I have terrible mosquitos because I have a pond and a river nearby. I use Bifen XTS and/or Permethrin SFR, which are the most concentrated and inexpensive products I could find by far (Amazon). Bifen is an "oil based" emulsions of some sort, but not technically made for a fogger. I mix them with kerosene to ensure my propane fogger will digest them, but they're easier to mix with water in a sprayer (or thermal fogger I suppose). Anyways, Permethrin kills on contact, and Bifenthrin has a 30 day plus residual effect. Honestly, fogging is probably only necessary if you need to penetrate between walls or similar, because a water spray lays it on much heavier. I mostly use a pump sprayer now, since the fogger never got the mosauitos under control.

Of course, the chickens will need treated with a dustrer, as mentioned. There is a poultry powder, but a lot of people just use Sevin Dust I think.

Last edited:
I have two coops for them. Since I gave away the older chickens........
the older chicken avoid going in till last minute. They had bare spot etc, defintely scaley leg mites. too... so now every 2nd or 3rd night I apply olive oil and Vaseline to their legs with a soft smallish paintbush...

Back
Top Bottom