Okay, DH gave me the go ahead- so question for you eggsperts!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KentuckyChick, Jul 29, 2010.

1. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    When we realized how little of our yard we'd be using up for six chickens, I (not so) jokingly said, 'We should get more!' He replied, 'It's whatever you want to do.' But I didn't REALLY think he meant it. I offhandedly mentioned MPC's special, and how it was cheaper to order 25 than the six I ordered! He told me to go ahead and order them! There are Barred Rocks, RIR's and an assortment in the special. It would be cheaper if I went to a local farmer, but I can't have roos.

I have two Delaware, two Dominique and two Easter Eggers. I'm looking at different breeds, but since I have neighbors, I am looking at quieter, docile birds. My husband would love some that are personable and wouldn't mind being handled. We'd also like decent layers.

Do you have any advice on breeds?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Go for the Barred Rock special, if you don't want to "risk" the assortment special.

RIR are noisier. And not quite as friendly as BRs.

I, on the other hand, want a varied flock - which I have. I do NOT need to "checkout" my MPC shopping cart. Nope, don't need to. Should not.

Can I talk anyone into hitting that button FOR me so I don't have to blame myself? I can just get busy preparing for the new chicks... that would work. Yah. That's the ticket.

Oh, back to you: Barred Rock. (Although the Assortment is calling MY name.)

3. KentuckyChick

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Want me to be the scapegoat? I can do it! [​IMG]

I'd LOVE to have an assortment. I just don't want to end up with a bunch of noisy birds and make my neighbors mad. I thought about going away from the special and getting Speckled Sussex or Welsummers.

So BR's are friendly?

4. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    I've found red sex links to be great birds. They lay a large egg, nearly daily. Mine have been very curious, and easy to handle, friendly birds. I started a new flock this spring and they were the first to lay at 18 weeks! They are quiet too. At least this batch hasn't sung the egg song [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

Welll, I'm with ya on the Welsummers and Speckled Sussex! I have one of the former and would like one of the latter. Speckled Sussex and Buckeye are on my wish list.

My BR is the friendliest girl, even more so than my BA. And she is fairly quiet, too. Little chuck-chuck sounds, chattering away to tell me chicken stories at my feet.

But an assortment of five different breeds, and 25 pullets for that price.... lordy.... 25 would double my flock and I'm ALREADY AT THE LIMIT!!! [​IMG]

pssssst run over here and press that 'checkout' button for me, wouldja?

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I think Buff Orphingtons are the mellowest.

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I have 16 Barred Rocks and they are curious, personable birds. The hens are quiet and layed back, the rooster is a crower though, but even he is even temperd. They are my 2nd choice to the RIR. Now I have a line on some Dels for spring. Just a thought, I think your husband may be a closet chicken addict. [​IMG]

8. KentuckyChick

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    What's a BA?

Yeah, I've read great things about the Speckled Sussex and Welsummers! Especially the SS.

9. gryeyes

BA = Black Australorp.

This is my Matilda.
    [​IMG]

And this is my Matilda being curious (some months ago).
    [​IMG]

This is my Buffy, BO, the hatch mother of my first GrandChick. (Not the egg mother.)
    [​IMG]

10. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Hey, KentuckyChick, I am a chic from Kentucky too... But I currently live in Alabama.. I would go with Orpingtons, they are awesome chickens, personality plus.. I like the barred rock also.. [​IMG]

Candace

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by